Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Yellow fever certificate: traveling from Lima to Bogota

Old Jan 21, 18, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Platinum

Hi all,

started typing up the question to pose to the group, but the post got a little too long.. so tried to simplify it a little (apologies if this streamlined version is still too lengthy!)

- tried looking at several sites, CDC, Timatic, WHO, etc but just seems to be confusing.. with conflicting statements on whether or not yellow fever vaccination requirement is required if entering Colombia from Peru (some consider Peru a high risk country for yellow fever transmission, while other sites say only certain areas of Peru are)
- I am traveling with my parents from the USA to Lima for 5 nights, then going to Bogota for 5 nights (quick low key trip to visit the 2 capitals). We've already been to Machu Picchu, Ollantaymbo, Urubamba, Pisac and Cuzco on a previous trip.
- Peru seems fine - no yellow fever vaccination requirement, while requirements for Colombia aren't so clear - some sites say it's required if you come from a high risk country where Peru is listed, but then there are some disclaimers saying that the risk doesn't exist for the entire country, while others mention that Peru is a high risk country except certain areas (Lima, Cuzco, Machu Picchu).
- It's clear if we were starting the trip in the US going to Bogota first then Lima (this would be fine), but not so clear with my scenario with Lima first then Bogota. I can't do Bogota first then Lima with the flight availability on both AA and LATAM using miles.. but the schedule/timing and availability is perfect if I do Lima first, then Bogota, then head back to the US.
- parents are 70 years old, so can't get vaccinated since they're older than 60 years of age
- I have my yellow fever certificate from 2008 (some issues such as the signature stamp of the physician (nurse didn't sign it but just stamped the Dr's signature), never had to present it so i don't know if it'd be considered valid...

does anyone have any experience going to Colombia straight from Peru? Did you have to show your yellow fever vaccination certificate? According to Timatic, my scenario is ok since Peru isn't on the list of countries, but lots of conflicting info for WHO, CDC, other travel providers..

thanks in advance for any feedback/experiences... I also looked at doing just Peru on this trip but the return flights are also bad in terms of availability and schedule, so am kinda "stuck" with the 5 nights in Lima/ 5 nights Bogota itinerary (plan to do day trips from both cities to fill up the itinerary).

Last edited by HankAAFlyer; Jan 21, 18 at 1:41 am
Old Jan 21, 18, 6:48 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
There is no requirement when arriving in Colombia for a yellow fever vaccination certificate. At least when arriving from Peru which I have done many times

The yellow fever vaccination works on the principle of herd immunity and it is only required when you are going to somewhere in Colombia where there is a risk of yellow fever. So you are not going to La Macarena National Park without a valid certificate and Tayrona National Park officially mandates obligatory certificates but I have never known anyone to be asked to show one.

Bogotá is 2640m above sea level and Aedes aegypti cannot live there. It's too high and cold

Note exceptions for certain origins are pointless if you think about it. If you board an aircraft in Lima then the check-in agent has no way of proving where you have and have not been in Peru. You might have been down the Amazon on a boat for all they know.

Restrictions tend to apply to a whole country. You would find this out if you ever tried to fly to Bridgetown from Bogotá. Barbados rightly has no idea where in Colombia you have been so although there is no risk of yellow fever in Bogotá, Barbados demands a valid certificate for flights to Bridgetown just because you have been in Colombia
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Platinum
thank you Johnny, much appreciated! I had spent all day replanning the trip and searching for availability on other airlines to swap the sequence of two cities, so now, have the side effect of being able to visit Medellin which I hadn't planned originally - planned an alternate itinerary in case the certificate became an issue: USA->Bogota->Medellin->Lima->USA. Your feedback and data points are very helpful - I have tickets on hold for both itineraries (USA->Lima->Bogota->USA; USA->Bogota->Medellin->Lima->USA), so I will sleep on it and decide on one after I get approval from work to take time off.

Really appreciate your help on this!
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:46 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA and Delta Silver, SPG Gold
Some data points

Flying from Colombia I have only been asked for the yellow fever certificate when traveling to Paraguay and to Jamaica.

I have flown to/from Colombia to Panama, Cuba, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Aruba and Curacao without being asked for the certificate (we flew to Brazil from US and was not asked in that case either).
Old Jan 23, 18, 12:15 am
Original Poster

thanks mrgom - appreciate the data points. Your data points along with JohnnyColombia's were very helpful - I'll stress less on future planning on South America trips

I ended up doing the alternate itinerary - Bogota, Medellin and Lima. Nice side effect of the alternate itinerary was getting a redeye flight to Bogota from Houston, and redeye flight back to the US from Lima, as well as adding Medellin to the itinerary using United miles and paying for a one-way ticket between Bogota and Medellin. So less time in transit and no connections with all nonstop flights..

My original "perfect" itinerary was using AA miles but with stopovers in Miami both directions and daytime flight to Lima from Miami (landing in Lima close to midnight), as well as a long layover in Miami on the way back from Bogota, along with using BA miles for Lima to Bogota. So it ended up working out, but deep down I wanted to check out the Centurion lounge in Miami, and check out the Corona Beach House with Priority Pass - lol. I'll have to settle for nonstop flights from Houston instead but at least Houston has a Centurion lounge.
Old Jan 30, 18, 2:24 pm

Programs: CO/UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Au, Hilton Ag, IHG Pt
Mind you that Colombia does require Yellow Fever vaccination when coming from certain countries (irregardless of destination within Colombia), the same for Panama for example.

A good way of searching visa//health requirements is through this search tool I found on the Copa website: https://www.copaair.com/en/web/co/im...n-requirements
Old Jun 7, 18, 7:45 pm

Not sure to understand the final answer - to the question do we need a yellow fever vaccination certificate to enter in Colombia from Lima. I'm supposed to flight to Lima tomorrow, and then to Cartagena in 3 days (and of course I don't have this certificate). I also could stay in Santiago de Chile (where I am now) 2 more days and flight directly to Cartagena from there. Do anyone know if I could have the same (potential) problem in this case just because I was before in Argentina and Brasil? I'd be really grateful (and sorry for my approximative english).
Old Jun 7, 18, 8:08 pm

...sorry for the double post. The link to Copa Airlines information above mention only a few countries from where you must have such a certificate to enter in Colombia (including Brasil, but not Peru) and it seems that only the 6 days before your entry must be considered. Can anyone confirm this information?
Old Jun 8, 18, 1:46 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
No. You do not require a yellow fever certificate to travel from Peru to Colombia
Old Jun 8, 18, 5:53 pm

Thank you so much JohnnyColombia.