FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Canada says I didn't meet my spend! (Annual fee excluded.)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:46 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by triptastic
Hi,
I called Amex over a month ago to inquire about my 75000 bonus points for my Amex Bus. The person I spoke to confirmed the spend was made and was putting in a request for the points to be credited. They were not, so I followed up yesterday. now they are saying my spend was not made (5000). If I had been given that information when I called a month ago, I would have been withing my window to meet the spend, which was missed by $100 because they are not counting the annual fee against the spend.
I plan to call them today but would like to know if any of you could offer any suggestions to ensure I get my points?
Thanks
You apparently made the mistake of thinking of it only as "spend", though I bet the offer terms never mention that word at all. They mention the word "purchases", and "purchases" clearly don't include fees, while if you change to the word "spend" in your thinking it's not as obvious that it shouldn't include fees. (You "spend" money paying fees, but you don't "purchase" fees.)

So if you want to say or write "spend" because it's a shorter word than "purchases", that's understandable, but you have to remember that's it's only shorthand, and it doesn't mean the same thing, and all signup offers state "purchases", not "spend", and you have to think what "purchases" means.

No bank ever counts the annual fee in the minimum purchases.(that I've ever heard of). It's not something unique to this card or to Amex.