Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Canada says I didn't meet my spend! (Annual fee excluded.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles

Hi,
I called Amex over a month ago to inquire about my 75000 bonus points for my Amex Bus. The person I spoke to confirmed the spend was made and was putting in a request for the points to be credited. They were not, so I followed up yesterday. now they are saying my spend was not made (5000). If I had been given that information when I called a month ago, I would have been withing my window to meet the spend, which was missed by $100 because they are not counting the annual fee against the spend.
I plan to call them today but would like to know if any of you could offer any suggestions to ensure I get my points?
Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I don't think many include the AF as part of the minimum spend.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Is this card issued in Canada or in the USA? I don't think it will change the answer, but it may allow us to see how the terms are worded.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles
The card is Canadian. I called within my spend period to enquire about my points. They said they would request that they post. I did not hear back from Amex about it either way. had they have looked at my account then, and provided me with the information when I asked, I could have easily made the spend.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I do understand your point, but the terms do stipulate that fees are not purchases, and it seems reasonable for you to do your own arithmetic. I have amended the thread Title to mention Canada, in case others with similar experiences can let you know if there is any flexibility.
Calchas likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:39 am

Maybe ask for a short extension to complete the needed spend? Amex has done this for me previously.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by triptastic
Hi,
I called Amex over a month ago to inquire about my 75000 bonus points for my Amex Bus. The person I spoke to confirmed the spend was made and was putting in a request for the points to be credited. They were not, so I followed up yesterday. now they are saying my spend was not made (5000). If I had been given that information when I called a month ago, I would have been withing my window to meet the spend, which was missed by $100 because they are not counting the annual fee against the spend.
I plan to call them today but would like to know if any of you could offer any suggestions to ensure I get my points?
Thanks
You apparently made the mistake of thinking of it only as "spend", though I bet the offer terms never mention that word at all. They mention the word "purchases", and "purchases" clearly don't include fees, while if you change to the word "spend" in your thinking it's not as obvious that it shouldn't include fees. (You "spend" money paying fees, but you don't "purchase" fees.)

So if you want to say or write "spend" because it's a shorter word than "purchases", that's understandable, but you have to remember that's it's only shorthand, and it doesn't mean the same thing, and all signup offers state "purchases", not "spend", and you have to think what "purchases" means.

No bank ever counts the annual fee in the minimum purchases.(that I've ever heard of). It's not something unique to this card or to Amex.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
[img]webkit-fake-url://b7bda64b-ac5c-46e1-99de-a96075bb2ec2/imagejpeg[/img]
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
This is why I always put a few hundred extra on my cards above the target spend to take account of faulty arithmetic, returns, and misunderstandings. I also make sure to hit my spending target at least 4 days before the deadline, as it takes 3 days to post the spend.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Most of the responses have missed the mark. The point is not whether he met the requirements. It's that he was TOLD he'd met them. Then the OP relied on that misinformation.

The right thing to happen is for the OP to provide the name of the agent he spoke to. If that agent can confirm that he misinformed the OP, then the points should be granted.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Actually it often posts the same day. At least for online purchases or cable fees, etc. , in Canada, which this thread is about.

I made the purchase on the last day of qualifying dead line, enough to make the minimum purchase. Showed up as pending purchases the same day.

Of course it did not make it to the statement and no bonus points at the time. A couple weeks later the bonus showed up on the MR account online..
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by JackE
Most of the responses have missed the mark. The point is not whether he met the requirements. It's that he was TOLD he'd met them. Then the OP relied on that misinformation.

The right thing to happen is for the OP to provide the name of the agent he spoke to. If that agent can confirm that he misinformed the OP, then the points should be granted.
Employees or agents cannot change the terms of the promotion. Should ask AMEX to extend the deadline as a goodwill, since their agent misinformed on the math.

The terms were clearly published and well known to OP.

It's the cardholder's responsibility to look out for him/her own interest. To ensure that bonus points will be awarded. Not to rely on others.

Last edited by beep88; Jan 19, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by triptastic
Hi,
Thanks
Of course the AF is not counted.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by beep88
Employees or agents cannot change the terms of the promotion. Should ask AMEX to extend the deadline as a goodwill, since their agent misinformed on the math.

The terms were clearly published and well known to OP.

It's the cardholder's responsibility to look out for him/her own interest. To ensure that bonus points will be awarded. Not to rely on others.
Of course an agent can change the terms if acting within the scope of employment. That's the MEANING of "agent". If he or she has no authority then not an agent.

But we have the same conclusion of what AMEX should do.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Personally, I'd spend the $100 before calling Amex and then politely ask for this to be counted towards the minimum spend even though you missed the deadline by a few days or weeks. Since the business platinum has a $5000 spend and you missed it by $100, they may go for it as a goodwill gesture. It may not matter, but I just think it looks better if you've already spent the money. Also, be polite, ask them to help you out, because if you start blaming the previous Amex agent, the goodwill may dry up and they may stick strictly to the written terms.
yscleo and Calchas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.