FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:35 am
codex57

I hope they go to the DOT limit. I've got a kid with special needs and friends with real service dogs so I understand the arguments from that side. However, a plane is a very special situation and the abuse is insane. You can generally tell a real service dog just by looking at how it behaves and how it's human behaves. I really wouldn't be opposed to banning all animals except dogs, and even with dogs, unless they're certain breeds, require extra waivers and signed attestations from providers (more hoops to jump through). Let's be honest, no chihuahua is a real service dog which is why it needs a LOT more documentation to qualify as a "support" animal. It's in the breed's nature so if you've got an unnaturally calm and non-yappy one and really do need emotional support, document the hell out of it. The emotional support animal thing is super iffy already, particularly once you get out of the realm of dogs.