FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Poor experience ANZ Intl Lounge flying United
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:29 pm
newtestleper

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum
Poor experience ANZ Intl Lounge flying United

Just thought I’d recount a poor experience at the Air NZ international lounge in Auckland recently. Booked on United ex Auckland to San Fran, going onwards in United. Would have booked Air NZ but the fare difference at 1300 bucks a head just couldn’t justify it.

Checked in no worries in Auckland and onto the lounge we go. United Boarding passes have *G on them as well as our Airpoints numbers (I am GE). Computer says no at the lounge gate, at which point the lounge attendant says “it’s come up red sorry sir you won’t be allowed in”. I explain that we’re Air NZ gold status which should be fine, he says “ well the computer has come up red. It’ll be because it’s a United flight, you’re not flying Air NZ”. I must have looked a bit bemused because he then said “maybe I should check the rules. Come in for now I guess”.

Now in the grand scheme of things this isn’t a big deal. Bit embarrassing to be standing there as others come by and enter and you’re quasi arguing with the attendant, but I’ll live. But United’s been operating out of Auckland for a while now and this is the lounge United passengers use, so this must happen on a regular basis - Air NZ G or other programme G members using the lounge when flying United. How many other poor sods have been turned away? Not great work by Air NZ.