FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Timeline w/Southwest companion pass after initial spend
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:48 pm
Critterlynn

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by cpapa84
My online chase account makes it look like I will get a statement on March 3.
!
How were you able to come to this conclusion? When a new chase account is opened it does not show the first statement closing date. It does show the first payment due date. By using this information you should be able to calculate your first statement closing date. You will have a minimum of 25, and up to 28 days to pay your bill after your statement ends depending on how many days are in the month. The payment due date is usually 3 days before the next statement closing date. Example: Due date March 3rd = statement closing the previous month on February 6th.

I am trying to figure out (a) how soon I will actually be able to book companion tickets, and (b) if there is anything I can do to speed this up - like requesting a statement earlier? I have a whole bunch of flights that I would like to book for spring travel, but don't want to book any of them until I get the pass.
If you have points, or are willing to pay cash, you can book your ticket now and add your companion at a later date after you get your companion pass. I would not attempt to change the statement date until you are absolutely sure you know when your first statement closes. It will probably close sooner than you think. Look at my example above to figure it out for sure. Also, be aware that any attempt to change your statement date will probably extend your current billing cycle instead of shortening it which will only delay your companion pass.

If I pay the bill immediately (as soon as the charge goes through from its current "pending" state) would that help any? I'll try to do that regardless, but am wondering what to expect.
This will make no difference. Points will post only when the statement closes and nothing will change that. After statement closes, points will usually post in 2 to 3 days.