Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Timeline w/Southwest companion pass after initial spend

Timeline w/Southwest companion pass after initial spend

Old Jan 17, 18, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott
Question Timeline w/Southwest companion pass after initial spend

Hi! I am new to FT and have a few questions about the Southwest companion pass. I am a small business owner and just applied for the Premier Business and Plus cards, which came in the mail yesterday and I activated them.

This morning, I spent $3000 on the Plus (50k offer) and $4500 on the other (60k offer), so I should be good to go as far as the spending requirements. My online chase account makes it look like I will get a statement on March 3.

I am trying to figure out (a) how soon I will actually be able to book companion tickets, and (b) if there is anything I can do to speed this up - like requesting a statement earlier? I have a whole bunch of flights that I would like to book for spring travel, but don't want to book any of them until I get the pass.

If I pay the bill immediately (as soon as the charge goes through from its current "pending" state) would that help any? I'll try to do that regardless, but am wondering what to expect.

Figuring out the above is my biggest priority right now, but on another note (if anyone has a minute to share advice) I'm also wondering if I should start moving most of my business or personal spending to one/both of these cards. Right now I am using a Chase Freedom for personal and an Amex Platinum for business. I spend about $120k per year between the two and a big chunk of that is on dining. Before I decided to go for a companion pass I was considering a Chase Sapphire for the better dining rewards, but now my head is spinning with all the options. I do like, and use, the perks on Amex Platinum like FHR. Anyway, maybe this is a separate post.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:19 am

Welcome to FT. The first statement often closes sooner than they first show, but you could contact them to ask if they can accelerate.

Once you've reached the bonus and get CP, I'd say it's better to use the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I use it in conjunction with the Chase Freedom Unlimited, where the non-travel charges go.
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:54 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
You don't need to have the CP to book your spring tickets. Just book like normal and when you actually get your CP you can add the companion then.

And as far as your spend goes, I'd try and do most of my spend on Chase cards that will give me "extra" points in the categories you are spending on. Once earned you can always move those points to SWA if you needed the points. Keeping your spend on the Chase cards gives you much more flexibility in using your points. Transfer them to SWA or Hyatt or any number of partners that they have.

Last edited by pkerr; Jan 17, 18 at 12:29 pm
Old Jan 17, 18, 12:23 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Paying bill early or quickly has no bearing. You get points when the statement posts. You can take years to pay, no difference.

Though Chase is tight with the 5/24 rule - I would surely be looking to get other credit cards if you are spending that $10k a month. Get all the bonus points you can with that spend.

Then, since you are mostly dining, pick the card(s) that give the highest bonus on dining dollars spent.
Old Jan 17, 18, 12:48 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by cpapa84 View Post
My online chase account makes it look like I will get a statement on March 3.
!
How were you able to come to this conclusion? When a new chase account is opened it does not show the first statement closing date. It does show the first payment due date. By using this information you should be able to calculate your first statement closing date. You will have a minimum of 25, and up to 28 days to pay your bill after your statement ends depending on how many days are in the month. The payment due date is usually 3 days before the next statement closing date. Example: Due date March 3rd = statement closing the previous month on February 6th.

I am trying to figure out (a) how soon I will actually be able to book companion tickets, and (b) if there is anything I can do to speed this up - like requesting a statement earlier? I have a whole bunch of flights that I would like to book for spring travel, but don't want to book any of them until I get the pass.
If you have points, or are willing to pay cash, you can book your ticket now and add your companion at a later date after you get your companion pass. I would not attempt to change the statement date until you are absolutely sure you know when your first statement closes. It will probably close sooner than you think. Look at my example above to figure it out for sure. Also, be aware that any attempt to change your statement date will probably extend your current billing cycle instead of shortening it which will only delay your companion pass.

If I pay the bill immediately (as soon as the charge goes through from its current "pending" state) would that help any? I'll try to do that regardless, but am wondering what to expect.
This will make no difference. Points will post only when the statement closes and nothing will change that. After statement closes, points will usually post in 2 to 3 days.
Old Jan 17, 18, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Trying to change statement dates can also backfire. As said above, you can look online and see when the next payment is due, which will be zero since you do not yet have a statement. So, your closing date is a few days after that.

And for those that are trying to hit an exact spend amount to get the CP - spend extra. Some vendor might be slow posting. Somebody might post a credit, etc. Prepay some stuff with your credit card is an easy way to boost spending. (we prepaid insurance for 4 months)
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thank you all!! Wow, I'm so glad I posted. I definitely was misreading the statement date - Mar 3 is when the payment was due. I just assumed they were the same, but obviously that makes no sense, of course they aren't the same.

Also, I did not realize you could add a companion pass after the fact! I had no idea. I don't mind paying cash at all. In fact, I'd rather pay cash because this is business travel and I'd rather use the points for personal travel that I can't write off. So I can just add the pass at any point before the trip and book the additional ticket that way? What happens if I book a "Wanna Get Away" ticket now but only more expensive options are available later.. is that a problem?

Thanks so much again, I really appreciate all of the help!
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:58 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Thank you all!! Wow, I'm so glad I posted. I definitely was misreading the statement date - Mar 3 is when the payment was due. I just assumed they were the same, but obviously that makes no sense, of course they aren't the same.

Also, I did not realize you could add a companion pass after the fact! I had no idea. I don't mind paying cash at all. In fact, I'd rather pay cash because this is business travel and I'd rather use the points for personal travel that I can't write off. So I can just add the pass at any point before the trip and book the additional ticket that way? What happens if I book a "Wanna Get Away" ticket now but only more expensive options are available later.. is that a problem?

Thanks so much again, I really appreciate all of the help!

Book one ticket using $$ (your ticket on $$) and one using points. When you get CP convert the points reservation to your companion. The Points are refunded instantly, a cash refund I believe is issued as a credit with an expiration date I believe.

Booking 2 tickets now protects you in case the flight sells out.
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
... So I can just add the pass at any point before the trip and book the additional ticket that way? What happens if I book a "Wanna Get Away" ticket now but only more expensive options are available later.. is that a problem?...
Not a problem at all. As long as there is at least one seat available you can use it for your companion.
Old Jan 17, 18, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
Old Jan 17, 18, 9:37 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
a cash refund I believe is issued as a credit with an expiration date I believe.
SWA has at least once issued a cash refund (more precisely: credit to credit card) for a WGA ticket purchased for a person who later became a designated companion. Don't bet on it because they frequently tighten things up, but good to know for someone who doesn't yet have points available for the second ticket.
Old Jan 17, 18, 9:59 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by ftnoob View Post
SWA has at least once issued a cash refund (more precisely: credit to credit card) for a WGA ticket purchased for a person who later became a designated companion. Don't bet on it because they frequently tighten things up, but good to know for someone who doesn't yet have points available for the second ticket.
You know I totally missed that, Hard to purchase on points without any, lol

We have millions of points all over so sometimes I forget that some people are just starting out

Looks like he will have to pay $$ for both tickets and the refund one when his CP posts
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob View Post
If you get a Companion Pass by definition you must have earned at least 110,000 points. I suppose it is possible that the points have already been used. The only exceptions would be some CP promotion, like the recent Claifornia or a similar one for Atlanta a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 18, 18, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
If you get a Companion Pass by definition you must have earned at least 110,000 points. I suppose it is possible that the points have already been used. The only exceptions would be some CP promotion, like the recent Claifornia or a similar one for Atlanta a couple of years ago.
Or in some cases, all those points are about to post at once and at the same time the CP is earned.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: