FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fake service dogs on board AC flight?
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:47 am
eracerblue

Originally Posted by eracerblue
I suspect this is actually a bigger issue than ESAs: people passing off their pet as a service animal, sometimes vest and all. Simply put, AC should not admit (lounge or plane) any "service" dog not wearing a vest.
Originally Posted by ou81two
Are you going to pay off those massive ADA lawsuits that they would get and lose? There's no requirement in US legislation that the dog wear a vest. Also, if something is an ESA, it's not a service dog, it's an ESA. Wearing a service dog vest would not be accurate.
Originally Posted by eracerblue
I'm not as familiar with US things, however I would suspect that since all of these flights originate or are destined for Canada, that Canadian law has merit. MLL's in the US perhaps not so much, though I'd bet this varies state by state.
Originally Posted by ou81two
Instead of posting here about things that you don't know, it might be worth your time to go educate yourself on the topic. AC's policies are freely available and show their reference to the specific US law. You can also find all of the information on what law applies online. That would save you from making statements that you've already said aren't accurate.
I think you missed the part where I did some background research on this before making sweeping statements...

And you also may have missed the part inline above where I stepped back, and gave way to your comments (as you appeared to know more about broad ADA aspects).

But by all means, please keep informing me/us about what we don't know... and round and round we go...

Or you know, we could actually make an attempt here to draw out the extent of the problem, which side is open to more abuse, and what we might do about it.

I took the time to re-read the thread last night and it appears the issue may be largely US based, and by your own knowledge, the lax rules around "service animals", rather than ESA's.