FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Contract ID and Coupon Code
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:40 pm
UAX_Brasilia

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I am not sure where these claims come about regarding personal insurance not covering an accident even if a wrong code was used. A credit card would certainly not cover the accident because the LDW was on the contract, but an insurance company like State Farm or Allstate is not going to care about your discount code whether you were allowed to use it or not - I have never seen policy language that talks about anything beyond prohibited use - meaning, using the rental car for commercial purposes (ie, Uber, deliveries, etc), or using the car in a prohibited fashion (ie, off-roading, drunken driving, etc). Credit card and personal insurance are both secondary - if National turns around and tells you the accident is not covered because you were not entitled to benefit from the LDW coverage, your personal insurance will pick up the gap, but your credit card most likely will not.

Damage is only a small part of the risk - not having liability coverage in at least 100/300 increments, if not higher, is the biggest risk a renter faces regardless of which code they are using. I recently learned, specific to State Farm and possibly the same with other companies, that if you rent more than X days a year, you are required to add a 'non owners' endorsement to your policy, or you may not be covered one way or the other, so those who rent frequently and use personal insurance should call their agents to look into this,
Insurance companies don't like to pay when they don't have to. If they find out that the rental contract includes coverage for something, they won't pay. If that other coverage denies for some other reason (like fraud), they won't pay either.

This is why it's never a good idea to have overlapping insurance, because both companies will [attempt] not to pay.