FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What makes a good travel blog? [split off from BAreas Fall]
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The only issue is that value is subjective.

What content you may consider value may not be of as much value to another person — or perhaps of no value at all — and vice versa.
True. The blogger needs to target a group of readers with similar interests then give that group what it wants. If the group wants to read tabloid-style travel stories, post those. If the group wants to churn credit cards, post every good credit card offer. If the group already has lots of miles, post the best redemption deals and tricks. Make 80% of posts to the targeted preferences and let the other 20% range over other preferences. Gauge reader reaction to that 20% and evaluate whether the targeting should change.

As to me, I never resented posts about redeeming for First Class when I didn't have more miles than I could use in Coach. Nor do I resent posts about maximizing Choice Hotel redemptions in Norway, where I am unlikely to go. Those posts give useful information I can file away for trips if and when.

The balance of a blog like View From the Wing 10 years ago was perfect for me even though most of the posts were of academic interest only. What annoys me most these days is the tabloid posts with only entertainment value and not even much of that. If there's not some element of potential future benefit, the blog is wasting my time.