Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What makes a good travel blog? [split off from BAreas Fall]

Old Jan 2, 18, 12:35 pm
formerly PHLGrump
Original Poster

Curious to get ya'lls opinions on what makes a good blog. I'm trying to take mine to the next level and just want to make sure I'm aligning correctly with readers.
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
Originally Posted by PHLGrump View Post
Curious to get ya'lls opinions on what makes a good blog. I'm trying to take mine to the next level and just want to make sure I'm aligning correctly with readers.
One that's actually about travel? I don't understand why so many bloggers constantly post about shopping deals that have no relation to travel.

And post ORIGINAL content. We don't need another BA blogger regurgitating the same info. For example...last week damn near the entire front page of BA was bloggers all posting about the same info: the Hyatt Award nights counting towards status.

Last edited by hockeystl; Jan 2, 18 at 12:47 pm
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Giving unique facts or information not found somewhere else. Bring an interesting perspective to something everyone is talking about.

For instance all the blogs were talking about how to get the Amex Plat with 100k points via the cardmatch tool. What would be of value to me is using the 100k MR points for an ANA RTW ticket, which is feasible.
Old Jan 2, 18, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Being consistently honest and transparent when discussing products and services.
Not using your blog to sell products in the guise of advice.
Providing new and unique information in a timely fashion.
Acknowledging when you are repeating information gained from a competing blog.
Demonstrating a sense of self-awareness and lack of entitlement when discussing travel.
Not being defensive/attacking critics with honest feedback.
Recognizing that quality of posts is far more important than quantity.
Not falsely suggesting to readers you can travel for Free.
Realizing that $2500 First Class fares are still expensive for most of the world.
Catweazle likes this.
Old Jan 4, 18, 6:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
1. High value per post.
2. High value per post.
3. High value per post.

In other words: DO NOT waste my time!! If your blog gives me a consistently good return on my investment of time, I will read it religiously.
Old Jan 4, 18, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
1. High value per post.
2. High value per post.
3. High value per post.

In other words: DO NOT waste my time!! If your blog gives me a consistently good return on my investment of time, I will read it religiously.
The only issue is that value is subjective.

What content you may consider value may not be of as much value to another person or perhaps of no value at all and vice versa.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 4, 18, 10:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
The only issue is that value is subjective.

What content you may consider value may not be of as much value to another person or perhaps of no value at all and vice versa.
True. The blogger needs to target a group of readers with similar interests then give that group what it wants. If the group wants to read tabloid-style travel stories, post those. If the group wants to churn credit cards, post every good credit card offer. If the group already has lots of miles, post the best redemption deals and tricks. Make 80% of posts to the targeted preferences and let the other 20% range over other preferences. Gauge reader reaction to that 20% and evaluate whether the targeting should change.

As to me, I never resented posts about redeeming for First Class when I didn't have more miles than I could use in Coach. Nor do I resent posts about maximizing Choice Hotel redemptions in Norway, where I am unlikely to go. Those posts give useful information I can file away for trips if and when.

The balance of a blog like View From the Wing 10 years ago was perfect for me even though most of the posts were of academic interest only. What annoys me most these days is the tabloid posts with only entertainment value and not even much of that. If there's not some element of potential future benefit, the blog is wasting my time.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
How do you define "good"?
Old Jan 9, 18, 10:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
My blog is simple. If I didn't personally fly, stay or eat at the place or services that I'm writing about, I don't write it. I take the pictures myself, edit them and do my own writing. While doing it this way is time consuming for me and I can't get posts up fast enough, I feel its coming from me and much more authentic than paying someone to write sensationalized click baited posts for me.
Old Jan 21, 18, 12:59 pm
formerly PHLGrump
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
My blog is simple. If I didn't personally fly, stay or eat at the place or services that I'm writing about, I don't write it. I take the pictures myself, edit them and do my own writing. While doing it this way is time consuming for me and I can't get posts up fast enough, I feel its coming from me and much more authentic than paying someone to write sensationalized click baited posts for me.
I like that!
Old Jan 21, 18, 1:00 pm
formerly PHLGrump
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
How do you define "good"?
One that you will read consistently
Old Feb 2, 18, 5:25 am

Programs: QF, HH, LH M&M
As others have said, original material helps you to stand out from the crowd of other wannabes, no matter how popular they may be.

Moreover, write with passion from your heart. If it doesn't interest you, don't write about it because likely it won't sound so exciting or convincing.

Which reminds me, I was once flying LIS to BCN, flipping through TAP's inflight magazine and reading some article in which the author claimed that you must breathe in order to write. Fascinating stuff!
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 6, 18, 11:54 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
1.- Not influenced for big companies(difficult to see nowadays)
2.-Updated each hour or two hours
3.-Answer feedback in a reasonable time
4.-Information adapted to readers profile
5.-Attractive design....less important one.....
Old Apr 7, 18, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by honores41 View Post
2.-Updated each hour or two hours
With what?!?

There isn't actually stuff happening that frequently that matters.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 18, 7:53 pm

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
With what?!?

There isn't actually stuff happening that frequently that matters.
The idea of this is being the first in posting information that just can be used in that moment like hotel rates mistakes or flight deals.

Search this Thread