FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Aeroplan card comparisons
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:53 pm
Fiordland

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
My biggest gripe with the AMEX Aeroplan Reserve Credit card is that it is just that, a credit card. An AMEX Aeroplan Platinum card is a charge card, which is a card with no predefined spending limit. There are also differences when it comes to lounge access although I seem to recall the access rules surrounding priority pass lounges is the same across both cards.
I have an AMEX Platinum Business (the non-aeroplan version). I don't view the " card with no predefined spending limit" as a selling feature, in reality it is a negative. There is a spending limit. You just don't know what it is but AMEX does. It is a secret, that you as the customer should not know.

When I first got back into AMEX (after not having an AMEX card for a decade), they phones and asked what my average monthly spend would be. I picked a number out of thin air. Some typing and they said that would fine, no problem. How high could I have done. Not allowed to say, it is a secret. On the web portal there is a feature where you can type in how much more do you expect to spend on the card it will tell you have sufficient room on the card.

At the end of the day, I would be happier with what other credit cards do where you know what the limit is up front.