Amex Aeroplan card comparisons

Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Amex Aeroplan card comparisons

Hi l'm considering taking up one off this two card Ill need your help for the final decision.

One on my mane conserne is having lounge access:

I fly between 10-16 (mostly domestic)time a year form time with AC but dont qualify for lit status .

So which card will be best for my case ?

Areoplan will give my accs to the mll when flying with ac but not with others airline but in the website its mention accs to 700 lounge does this mean that I could accs on some instant the PP lounge ?

With the platinum Amex Ill will only have accs to pp in yul that very far form most departure gate for domestic flight ? The others perk of the card ar very interesting!

Thx
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I'd probably go with the Amex platinum. The Aeroplan platinum has a PP membership but it just covers the basic membership fee, you still have to pay $27 per visit. The Amex platinum has free PP visits for the cardmember and one guest (additional guests have to pay $27). You can also bring a free guest to plaza premium lounges in Canada and Amex Centurion lounges in the US.

Also, with Aeroplan winding down in 2 years, it may be wiser to collect Amex points and just transfer them to Aeroplan when you want to make a redemption (you can also transfer them to other programs).

If you apply for the Amex platinum card, be sure to use a flyertalk referral (American Express Referral Offers (Read Wiki before posting).) since you will get 60,000 sign-up points instead of the 50,000 you get for applying from the Amex website.

Last edited by Low Roller; Dec 26, 2017 at 6:47 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

But the lounge is so far into the international side of the airport Im not sure its the best option specially in the case where I fly mostly with Ac ?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:45 pm

I don't know much about the lounges at YUL. If the MLL is the only convenient lounge for you, then I guess you should go with the Aeroplan card.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Overall I think the regular Amex Platinum is a better card as it provides gratis lounge access to the entire Priority Pass network as well as Amex Centurion lounges. However, if your travel is only domestic and you're always flying out of YUL where the Priority Pass offering isn't preferable, the Aeroplan card may work better for you.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
The Amex platinum has free PP visits for the cardmember (although if you bring guests, they have to pay the $27). BUT, you can bring a free guest to plaza premium lounges in Canada and Amex Centurion lounges in the US.
It's free for 1st guest to ANY lounges on the PP network. 2nd, 3rd, etc is $27 USD each.
flyquiet and Low Roller like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by seks
It's free for 1st guest to ANY lounges on the PP network. 2nd, 3rd, etc is $27 USD each.
Thanks...I corrected my prior post. I was just going by the terms listed on the platinum card application page which suggest only the cardmember gets in free but I have no personal experience with this.

Last edited by Low Roller; Dec 26, 2017 at 6:53 am
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Amex areoplan platinum vs Amex areoplan reserve card

I’m looking in to this two card both have efty price tag

I’m for yul flight manly domestic so having mll lounge benefits is a must .

Any comment or or experience on this two card form membre FT ?

Also are there referral code for this card ?

Last edited by Dasher12; Jan 4, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
My biggest gripe with the AMEX Aeroplan Reserve Credit card is that it is just that, a credit card. An AMEX Aeroplan Platinum card is a charge card, which is a card with no predefined spending limit. There are also differences when it comes to lounge access although I seem to recall the access rules surrounding priority pass lounges is the same across both cards.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
My biggest gripe with the AMEX Aeroplan Reserve Credit card is that it is just that, a credit card. An AMEX Aeroplan Platinum card is a charge card, which is a card with no predefined spending limit. There are also differences when it comes to lounge access although I seem to recall the access rules surrounding priority pass lounges is the same across both cards.
I have an AMEX Platinum Business (the non-aeroplan version). I don't view the " card with no predefined spending limit" as a selling feature, in reality it is a negative. There is a spending limit. You just don't know what it is but AMEX does. It is a secret, that you as the customer should not know.

When I first got back into AMEX (after not having an AMEX card for a decade), they phones and asked what my average monthly spend would be. I picked a number out of thin air. Some typing and they said that would fine, no problem. How high could I have done. Not allowed to say, it is a secret. On the web portal there is a feature where you can type in how much more do you expect to spend on the card it will tell you have sufficient room on the card.

At the end of the day, I would be happier with what other credit cards do where you know what the limit is up front.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I can understand your viewpoint. That said, AMEX's approval limit for me for a charge on my charge card has been much greater than what they have afforded me, credit limit wise.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I usually have pretty high limit on my card never really hit the spending limit or I do payment mid month

one ne of the question I have is the mom lounge access worldwide?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dasher12

I usually have pretty high limit on my card never really hit the spending limit or I do payment mid month

one ne of the question I have is the mom lounge access worldwide?
A little different from what you're asking, but check the CIBC Infinite Privilege Card. It gives a bunch of MLL and PP accesses a year, bags, zone 2 boarding, and such, for reduced annual fee. If you need an extra lounge or restaurant visit after this, it's not breaking the bank (and food WAY more satisfying!). Plus CIBC may be somewhat lenient on many aspects of the qualifications/benefits/features depending on who you bank with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.