FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:37 am
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by chollie
I think we're getting into a gray area here.

It seems to me that the verbiage says that you don't have to be able to produce ID (after all, people do get mugged on vacation), but TSA has to be able to confirm your identity by other means. Obviously, if you're on the return leg of a trip, you probably don't have access to copies of your birth certificate, utility bills, rental agreements, etc. The assumption is that there's enough information in government databases for TSA to cross-examine you. Very early on, there were reports that TSA used voter registration to demand that pax without ID reveal how they were registered to verify their ID.

TSA (agency) or individual TDCs can decide that they can't confirm the identity of a pax without valid ID and refuse entry. There's no way for the pax to refute that, because the process is opaque - and the screeners always have the 'final say'.
Yeah, but that's the logical disconnect.

Ostensibly, you can fly if TSA can confirm your identity.

If you have a valid, state-issued ID, then obviously TSA can confirm your identity.

However, TSA will be claiming that unless you present the *special* RealID compliant ID, they cannot confirm your identity. Despite the fact that the ID you present is genuine, valid, verifiable, government-issued, photo ID, they claim they can't verify your identity.

Funny thing is, from what I can see, RealID mostly applies to driver's licenses and state IDs. However, there are plenty of Federally-issued IDs that are not ReadID compliant, yet will still be considered acceptable ID for the purposes of travel.

So, logical disconnect. Unless a license or state-issued ID is RealID compliant, it's not acceptable. But lots of other non-compliant IDs will be. Duh... makes your head hurt to think about this junk.