FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First time cruise. Have picked Celebrity.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:35 pm
SkaterJasp

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Originally Posted by Sealink
Not sure if I have made the right decision to be honest, but it's probably pre-cruise jitters.

- During online check-in, I noticed that Celebrity have dropped half of my pals double-barrelled surname from the booking. Should I be concerned? Airlines often put my title immediately next to my surname, ie: SEALINKMR and it doesn't seem to affect anything.
- I seem to have to print reems of paperwork. (This is new to me in the age of e-ticketing!)
- I probably haven't appreciated the scale of the ship, but it seems that there are supplements for every restaurant except 'The Main Restaurant'.
- Nearly every excursion, including snorkelling is labelled as strenuous. What is their definition of strenuous?

Thanks for your help with my questions.
I normally cruise with Royal Caribbean (Just finished my 33rd cruise with them). Royal Caribbean is the parent company of Celebrity cruise line so the process should be similar. Celebrity is actually the upscale version of Royal Caribbean with more focus on luxury than family activities.

You do not have to print the "Cruise Document" or "e Doc". Normally I download the PDF version and email it to myself so I have access to it on my phone. The cruise documents or e Doc are basically like the cruise line version of the Contract of Carriage combined with detailed information about your cruise. Most of the time you don't even need it but it's good to have a copy around so you can reference it as it does have important telephone numbers in it. I personally feel a PDF version on my phone is good enough, of my 52 cruises across 5 different cruise line... I was never in a situation where I needed the actual printed Cruise Document or eDoc. It's basically a waste of paper.

The most important thing is you have to print the "Xpress Pass". If you didn't get luggage tags mailed to you, you should also print out the "luggage tags" for the cruise. You can print out as many luggage tag as you want and attach it to your bags. "Xpress Pass" (Celebrity) "Set Sail Pass" (Royal Caribbean) are basically boarding pass and like with an airline, thats the most important part of it. In theory you can show up to the port with out them but there will be a significant delay with getting into the terminal as they have to look you up manually and often time this is done by going through a book with the manifest and some time the manifest isn't in alphabetical order.

In addition to the "Xpress Pass", make sure you bring proof of citizenship, an ID, and also a credit card. It seems common sense but almost every cruise someone forget to bring them and get denied boarding. You can technically pay your onboard expenses with cash but a credit card is so much faster and easier. Paying cash onboard involve waiting in very long line on the last day of your cruise to settle your bill with the purser.

The "Main" Restaurant and the buffet are always free. There may be a few quick service dining venues or snack bars with free food. The "free" food on Celebrity is very good and the menu changes every night. The menu will have some items that repeat every night but the majority of the menu will be different so you can eat at the "Main Dining Room" every night and have a completely different meal. The "Specialty Restaurant" are basically upgraded experiences with specialized food and often time those menu don't change. It's great for special occasions or you want a change in dining venue.

As for shore excursion, pick something within your limits. Strenuous seem to apply to all type of tour that involves walking a long distance or swimming. Basically if theres a chance you might break a sweat... it's strenuous. HAHAHA. If you have any question, you can always talk to the shore excursion staff onboard the ship. They say tours sell out but you can often time book something onboard if you go to the shore excursion desk on the first day. For something like snorkeling, you will more than likely find a cheaper alternative in port... but if you decide to tour on your own... the cruise line won't be responsible if you're late getting back to the ship or get hurt on the tour. The tours I generally book through the ship are tours to places far from the port or the prices seem comparable to what the tour operator charges land based tourist. Some example of this is zip lining in Jamaica where the cruise line actually charge the same price as the zip line park but transportation is included.