Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

First time cruise. Have picked Celebrity.

Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

Not sure if I have made the right decision to be honest, but it's probably pre-cruise jitters.

- During online check-in, I noticed that Celebrity have dropped half of my pals double-barrelled surname from the booking. Should I be concerned? Airlines often put my title immediately next to my surname, ie: SEALINKMR and it doesn't seem to affect anything.
- I seem to have to print reems of paperwork. (This is new to me in the age of e-ticketing!)
- I probably haven't appreciated the scale of the ship, but it seems that there are supplements for every restaurant except 'The Main Restaurant'.
- Nearly every excursion, including snorkelling is labelled as strenuous. What is their definition of strenuous?

Thanks for your help with my questions.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:48 am

I usually only print the boarding pass and invoice. Never had a problem.
My experience is that most cruise lines to to somewhat exaggerate the level of stress on their excursions.
Where did you book the cruise?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Sealink
Not sure if I have made the right decision to be honest, but it's probably pre-cruise jitters.

- During online check-in, I noticed that Celebrity have dropped half of my pals double-barrelled surname from the booking. Should I be concerned? Airlines often put my title immediately next to my surname, ie: SEALINKMR and it doesn't seem to affect anything.
- I seem to have to print reems of paperwork. (This is new to me in the age of e-ticketing!)
- I probably haven't appreciated the scale of the ship, but it seems that there are supplements for every restaurant except 'The Main Restaurant'.
- Nearly every excursion, including snorkelling is labelled as strenuous. What is their definition of strenuous?

Should you be concerned? NO. Relax and enjoy the moment.

You have picked a mass-market ship, so everything is not going to go smoothly (it never does, even on a ship holding 1/10 the number of passengers as yours).

The "strenuous" label is applied with the 80-year old in mind. If you are in that category, it might be strenuous. If you are 35-years-old and fit, it will be a piece of cake.

Regarding the supplements, be prepared to pay almost everyplace you turn on the ship. For example, do you like latte in the morning at the coffee bar, make sure you have your room key with you to purchase it. Unless you sail on an all-inclusive line, that is the reality of cruising: You have to pay for (almost) everything on board.

Bon voyage!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:56 pm

Celebrity one of my favorites!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:14 pm

Also keep in mind that a different itinerary or holiday period can make even the same ship feel quite different from sailing to sailing. I hope you enjoy your first cruise but if it isn't quite the thing for you, don't worry, there are a lot of other cruise lines and styles which may be of interest in the future.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club

I normally cruise with Royal Caribbean (Just finished my 33rd cruise with them). Royal Caribbean is the parent company of Celebrity cruise line so the process should be similar. Celebrity is actually the upscale version of Royal Caribbean with more focus on luxury than family activities.

You do not have to print the "Cruise Document" or "e Doc". Normally I download the PDF version and email it to myself so I have access to it on my phone. The cruise documents or e Doc are basically like the cruise line version of the Contract of Carriage combined with detailed information about your cruise. Most of the time you don't even need it but it's good to have a copy around so you can reference it as it does have important telephone numbers in it. I personally feel a PDF version on my phone is good enough, of my 52 cruises across 5 different cruise line... I was never in a situation where I needed the actual printed Cruise Document or eDoc. It's basically a waste of paper.

The most important thing is you have to print the "Xpress Pass". If you didn't get luggage tags mailed to you, you should also print out the "luggage tags" for the cruise. You can print out as many luggage tag as you want and attach it to your bags. "Xpress Pass" (Celebrity) "Set Sail Pass" (Royal Caribbean) are basically boarding pass and like with an airline, thats the most important part of it. In theory you can show up to the port with out them but there will be a significant delay with getting into the terminal as they have to look you up manually and often time this is done by going through a book with the manifest and some time the manifest isn't in alphabetical order.

In addition to the "Xpress Pass", make sure you bring proof of citizenship, an ID, and also a credit card. It seems common sense but almost every cruise someone forget to bring them and get denied boarding. You can technically pay your onboard expenses with cash but a credit card is so much faster and easier. Paying cash onboard involve waiting in very long line on the last day of your cruise to settle your bill with the purser.

The "Main" Restaurant and the buffet are always free. There may be a few quick service dining venues or snack bars with free food. The "free" food on Celebrity is very good and the menu changes every night. The menu will have some items that repeat every night but the majority of the menu will be different so you can eat at the "Main Dining Room" every night and have a completely different meal. The "Specialty Restaurant" are basically upgraded experiences with specialized food and often time those menu don't change. It's great for special occasions or you want a change in dining venue.

As for shore excursion, pick something within your limits. Strenuous seem to apply to all type of tour that involves walking a long distance or swimming. Basically if theres a chance you might break a sweat... it's strenuous. HAHAHA. If you have any question, you can always talk to the shore excursion staff onboard the ship. They say tours sell out but you can often time book something onboard if you go to the shore excursion desk on the first day. For something like snorkeling, you will more than likely find a cheaper alternative in port... but if you decide to tour on your own... the cruise line won't be responsible if you're late getting back to the ship or get hurt on the tour. The tours I generally book through the ship are tours to places far from the port or the prices seem comparable to what the tour operator charges land based tourist. Some example of this is zip lining in Jamaica where the cruise line actually charge the same price as the zip line park but transportation is included.
Sealink and kalderlake like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Should I be bothered about the double barrelled surname omission?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thanks all. Should I be bothered about the double barrelled surname omission?
Did you book directly with Celebrity, or through a travel agent? Call whomever that party is and query them. They will make sure there is no problem.

This is not like an airline and TSA, where nothing can be changed and everything has to match perfectly.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
What is your itinerary and when are you going? These can make a difference in your experience.

Although I've cruised I have done so reluctantly and at the request of my spouse. My experiences have left me unimpressed with the entire process. So consider what follows as coming from a cruise cynic:

Upgrade to a balcony if you haven't already booked one. That little private space keeps me sane.

Be cautious about your consumption of food and alcohol particularly if you have an established tendency toward weight gain.

Patience is your friend. There are thousands of other passengers. There will be line-ups. Get used to it.

Go ashore every chance you get. Take the cruise company excursions if there is something specific you want to see or do. They are more expensive, you could probably see it on your own but for your first cruise it's a safer way to go. The ship will not leave if you are on a company excursion. Don't worry about anything they call "strenuous" unless you qualify for handicapped parking.

Remember that the cruise company's objective is to part you from your money while you are on board. Be wary of the shops. What seems like a good deal might turn out otherwise.

On your last day you will get a bill. It will be larger than you think. So will everyone else's.

Finally, keep an open mind. Cruising is not for everyone but it is generally a safe and convenient way to see different places that you might want to go back to someday.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I particularly like Celebrity.

I don't know what you mean by "double-barreled surname"? I'm guessing just a hyphenated name? When you first make your reservation, typically they send you an email with all the details and ask you to check them over carefully. While at that point it is the very easiest to get changes, it should still be possible. Start with wherever you booked, but if you can't get it resolved there and you didn't book directly with Celebrity, contact them directly. In any case, I doubt it will be a problem. They want you, and you've paid.

Regarding your bill, during the cruise one can go to Guest Services and ask them to print current charges out. Sometimes there is simply a printer in that general area and you can get a current bill with just your room key card. And sometimes one can track the bill on the room television screen.

If you are a frugal person, it is entirely possible to get yourself amused and nicely fed on a cruise ship without paying any of those extra fees.

I'm fine with the least expensive bottom-of-the-boat, no-window room. I've had windows and balconies and they are nice. But I've found that when I want to watch something outside like coming into a port city, somehow my view is never quite the direction I want. I end up going up to the higher levels where one can see in any direction.

I tend to do a couple excursions if they really are something I really want to do and I can't manage on my own, but often just get off and stroll about. Local museums, parks, people, stores, beaches - whatever I can reach on foot. Taking a good map, leaving a careful trail of bread crumbs, and watching the time.

Yes, the ratings and cautions are for the less able, whether they be 80 or much younger.

After the first couple of times, I quit printing all that paper also. Just the boarding pass. I don't do luggage tags, as I take either a roller bag or a backpack and just handle it myself.

The worst part of the cruise is the whole check-in procedure. They try, but in that same day they have to get prior passengers off, clean and restock the ship, and then let on several thousand new passengers. Lots of steps per person for that check-in.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'm not bothered about paying for premium restaurants, it just looked like EVERY restaurant was premium and the idea of dining in the same place every night OR paying a supplement almost every night was a bit odd.
But believe there are about four restaurants to choose from plus premium.

Last edited by Sealink; Jan 2, 2018 at 1:55 am
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Have you found www.cruisecritic.com yet? Tons of reviews there. Even an occasional specific cabin.

Also www.whatsinport.com can have some useful information.

For food on Celebrity, my favorite place was called something like "Spa Cafe". Smaller cafeteria style. The food was deliberately healthy and low calorie. Still exquisitely arranged and delicious. Lots of ocean view tables in the area. I ate most of my meals there. While I don't even try to lose weight on a cruise, I can break even and yet have some delightful meals.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Free Agent
Best advice we never received: go to the Guest Services desk on day 2 or 3 and ask them to remove the automatic gratuities (the per person, per day)- we prefer to pay via envelope at the end of the cruise.

Now that we are 15+ cruises in, we treat the ship as an all inclusive resort with an ever changing view out the windows- rarely leave except to walk a new port or for a new experience (George Washington House tour led by the head of the National Trust in Barbados being our latest greatest)
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by canolakid
Best advice we never received: go to the Guest Services desk on day 2 or 3 and ask them to remove the automatic gratuities (the per person, per day)- we prefer to pay via envelope at the end of the cruise.
Tipping can be a thorny issue on cruise ships. I've never considered removing the automatic gratuities but will also cash tip directly for exceptional service much to the horror of certain members of the "cruise community." The bothersome busybody who scolded me for cash tipping a bartender was bluntly advised to MYOFB.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canolakid
Problem is that Celebrity, and several other lines with auto gratuities, track passengers who remove the automatic gratuities and staff are given a list of passengers/cabins that do. They are then required to turn over any cash tips received from these passengers. The cash goes into the same distribution pool as the automatic gratuities so youve basically accomplished nothing but caused the people youve tipped with cash the hassle of turning it in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.