FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Remove KTN from reservations to improves TSA PreCheck chance? (Due to name change)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:47 am
Fraser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Question Remove KTN from reservations to improves TSA PreCheck chance? (Due to name change)

I recently got married and the wife (US Citizen) and I both have TSA PreCheck through Global Entry.

I made upcoming reservations for January and February under the new married name as her goal was to get all the names switched over in mid-December. Due to unforeseen issues it seems as though the IDs won't be through in time. From what I can tell she won't get TSA PreCheck on her upcoming flights because the name on the reservation will not match the name under the KTN. She has called in and been told that since she gets TSA PreCheck by virtue of Global Entry that she cannot update her profile until the new passport is in.

When we first started travelling together and before she got GE she always seemed to get TSA Pre notations (this was on maybe a dozen trips), I assume because she was on a reservation with me. Given she had never got TSA Pre before that the chances of it being a fluke were a little too high.

Anyone think I should I drop the KTN for her on the upcoming reservations in the hope this happens again? I assume that if I leave the KTN in the mismatch will definitely result in no TSA PreCheck.

The thought of using MCO without TSA PreCheck brings me out in hives given their lack of Priority security for AA passengers...

Thanks!