Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Remove KTN from reservations to improves TSA PreCheck chance? (Due to name change)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remove KTN from reservations to improves TSA PreCheck chance? (Due to name change)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Question Remove KTN from reservations to improves TSA PreCheck chance? (Due to name change)

I recently got married and the wife (US Citizen) and I both have TSA PreCheck through Global Entry.

I made upcoming reservations for January and February under the new married name as her goal was to get all the names switched over in mid-December. Due to unforeseen issues it seems as though the IDs won't be through in time. From what I can tell she won't get TSA PreCheck on her upcoming flights because the name on the reservation will not match the name under the KTN. She has called in and been told that since she gets TSA PreCheck by virtue of Global Entry that she cannot update her profile until the new passport is in.

When we first started travelling together and before she got GE she always seemed to get TSA Pre notations (this was on maybe a dozen trips), I assume because she was on a reservation with me. Given she had never got TSA Pre before that the chances of it being a fluke were a little too high.

Anyone think I should I drop the KTN for her on the upcoming reservations in the hope this happens again? I assume that if I leave the KTN in the mismatch will definitely result in no TSA PreCheck.

The thought of using MCO without TSA PreCheck brings me out in hives given their lack of Priority security for AA passengers...

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
The thought of using MCO without TSA PreCheck brings me out in hives given their lack of Priority security for AA passengers...
As another option, CLEAR is available at MCO. You should call them and see if they'll give the both of you a free 3 month trial. Technically, their THANKS3 free trial code expired on December 1, but their CSRs have discretion to make adjustments, especially for people with any sort of Delta status.

That way, you avoid the KTN hurdles for this trip. As a side benefit, you'll skip the PreCheck lines.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Interesting idea, thank you. I don't have any DL status anymore and it seems a bit of a faff for the sake of a handful of trips where we have access to Priority lanes anyway (all flights are in FC and we're Emerald and Sapphire).

Is anyone able to confirm, as I suspect, that there is no Priority security for AA passengers at MCO? I use MCO every other month or so but have only seen the TSA PreCheck, Clear and normal lanes.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:15 pm

Interesting idea, thank you. I don't have any DL status anymore and it seems a bit of a faff for the sake of a handful of trips where we have access to Priority lanes anyway (all flights are in FC and we're Emerald and Sapphire).

Is anyone able to confirm, as I suspect, that there is no Priority security for AA passengers at MCO? I use MCO every other month or so but have only seen the TSA PreCheck, Clear and normal lanes.
The MCO Twitter feed claims there is:

Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, we are back and were 7/7 on getting TSA PreCheck on my wife's boarding pass when removing her KTN.

The only problem we had was at JFK in early January. Her new drivers license had been lost in the mail and apparently her temporary NYS paper license was not deemed sufficient ID to use PreCheck at JFK (even though she had the true drivers license in her maiden name as well) so we were directed to the Priority Access line. At least the supervisor (who was already at the PreCheck BP check podium) was willing to walk us to the front of the Priority Access line. According to him the ID needs to have the name match the boarding pass....which was the case unless the temporary drivers license is no longer considered ID. Didn't make much sense to us...Had no issues at PHX coming back a few days later.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:36 pm

Well, we are back and were 7/7 on getting TSA PreCheck on my wife's boarding pass when removing her KTN.

The only problem we had was at JFK in early January. Her new drivers license had been lost in the mail and apparently her temporary NYS paper license was not deemed sufficient ID to use PreCheck at JFK (even though she had the true drivers license in her maiden name as well) so we were directed to the Priority Access line. At least the supervisor (who was already at the PreCheck BP check podium) was willing to walk us to the front of the Priority Access line. According to him the ID needs to have the name match the boarding pass....which was the case unless the temporary drivers license is no longer considered ID. Didn't make much sense to us...Had no issues at PHX coming back a few days later.
I'm glad it worked out for you. It looks like the "PreCheck for all passengers accompanying a PreCheck recipient" system was a good fallback.

As for using a temporary paper license -- even for a regular checkpoint, much less PreCheck -- FT'ers have a lot of differing experiences, and each airport or TDC can treat it differently, as you saw. There's a long thread about it:

Temporary drivers license acceptable by TSA?

By the way, did you see the priority lanes at MCO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.