FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do deluxe hotels understand dietary restrictions?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:43 am
Kagehitokiri
FlyerTalk Evangelist

decent chefs at luxury properties should be able to prepare a certain type of dish on request. yet i dont recall past examples of this here for diet, whereas i recall a very large number of examples here for ethnic cuisines, as in prepare any dish from this country.

can industry here comment on this? like what operational problem is?
do some luxury chains / properties discourage chefs re off menu etc?

aman and FS at least can get recipes from another of their properties

when waiters incapable, part of why some chefs come out regularly

just posted for RC dove mountain >

Originally Posted by Ksw299
F&B manager Raghu who just wanted to chat with us. My wife told him that it was my birthday, so he asked if we had any plans for dinner. We had our plans cancelled by El Charro’s as it was closing early that day. When we mentioned that he took us to Core kitchen (the main restaurant of the resort), introduced to the chef Mani and asked him to take care of us. He took a special note of my wife’s dietary restrictions (she is a strict vegetarian who does not even eat egg) and made a reservation at 6 45 PM.

When we arrived the waiter let us know that the chef was preparing something special for us and that we could only order drinks as both appetizer and the main course were getting ready.

The appetizer was potato cutlet which is a famous delicacy in India and it was exceptional. The main course was rice with vegetable curry which was extremely good, one of the best I have ever tasted. It was almost as good as my mom cooks. The desert consisted of a rose sorbet, vanilla ice-cream and strawberries, which we could not finish as we were so full by that time.

The best part was none of these were on the menu and they prepared this specifically for us. We were blown away as we have never experienced anything close to this. They even took off a couple of drinks of the final bill. The chef even dropped by our table to say Hi and to see how we liked the food.
presumably could have been fully pescetarian (chef not at a hotel currently) >

Originally Posted by trojanman
Dinner, on the other hand, was spectacular. I arranged for a special tasting (not offered on the menu). Chef Jacob was happy to oblige, personally calling me to find out our preferences and restrictions. With a couple small guidelines, we let him have carte blanche, and what a wonderful job he did. Very fish centric, heavily raw/crudo, and a bit of local island beef. $160 per person. Easily 1, possibly 2 michelin star quality in both food and service.
well said in a mixed review of brando F&B >

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
should be fully capable of developing a well-rounded menu with options for multiple dietary preferences (I know, not an easy task), or suggesting one-off dishes that are not vegan, salads, veggie plates, or pasta primavera

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 28, 2017 at 10:05 am