Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Brando vs. Intercontinental Thalasso Bora Bora

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

The Brando vs. Intercontinental Thalasso Bora Bora

I have a decision that I need to make very soon, and would appreciate any thoughts.

We're leaving for French Polynesia on 5/1, staying at IC Thalasso 5/6-5/10 (paid cash). I just received word that the air conditioning is out at IC Thalasso and is unlikely to be repaired until 5/13. I was offered two options:

1. ~$390 per night credit (can be used for activities, spa, etc. but if not used will be refunded on credit card)

2. Move our stay to The Brando, with transportation from Papeete to The Brando provided

On the one hand, we've wanted to go to Bora Bora for a long time, and to stay in an OWB on the motu. Other the other hand, The Brando is supposed to be one of the world's finest resorts, with rooms costing over $2,000 per night. We'll be staying in an OWB at the Hilton Moorea, so we will have the OWB experience.

Any thoughts, especially from anyone who has been to The Brando? Is it true that even Bora Bora can't compare?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hard to turn down free valuable upgrade to brando ?

you could also ask for all-inclusive package at brando. when they opened, rates were all-inclusive. then they added less expensive bed & breakfast rates. difference is E730/nt.

the hotels are same owner - pacificbeachcomber.com

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 22, 2016 at 5:53 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:57 pm

If I understand correctly you have the choice of staying at IC likely without air conditioning, or being upgraded at no cost to a much nicer resort...

You do know that owerwaters can get a bit warm even with air conditioning.

Take their offer for Brando, and then stay at Four Seasons Bora Bora on your next trip
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:03 pm

I wish I got these types of offers. Definitely go with the Brando. Then please come back and tell us all about it.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:37 pm

I wonder If I book the IC now Would they offer the same?!?

Seriously man... The brando. My God. There's no comparison
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I sounds like it's a no-brainer. Does anyone actually have first hand experience at the Brando?

The cost difference isn't trivial to me ($1600 refund at IC, plus we have to cancel flights to and from Bora Bora and book a flight from Moorea back to Tahiti), but I'm sold on the Brando.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Tex23
Thanks for the replies. I sounds like it's a no-brainer. Does anyone actually have first hand experience at the Brando?

The cost difference isn't trivial to me ($1600 refund at IC, plus we have to cancel flights to and from Bora Bora and book a flight from Moorea back to Tahiti), but I'm sold on the Brando.
As Kage said, you may find that if you really push it, they may compensate you even better and could potentially cover these expenses too. I like being warm, but no way would I go to a tropical climate and put up with no AC. I had a friend get a week free at an Aman resort as they cancelled his holiday twice due to some weddings booking the entire resort. They even covered the cost of his flights he had to cancel.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:37 pm

My only comment here (as someone who knows Bora Bora well) is that the IC Thalasso has a poor view of the volcano. It looks like a little pointy pyramid thing. You really have to get a classic view of this tropical icon and two hotels have it from opposite angles, the Pearl and the Four Seasons.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I only say 1 word: Congratulations! It´s a one of a lifetime chance, go for The Brando!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:25 pm

We were just offered the same thing today (before 3 hours) and we are flying to Tahiti later tonight. I have a couple of questions for those who have been to Bora Bora / Brando

1. We have experienced Beach Villa at Maldives (Kuramathi Island). So were thinking for over the water experience. But the AC would be OFF at IC Thalasso. So, not sure if that would ruin the experience. No idea how is the weather like, but it shows around 85-88 F for next 5 days. Do you have suggestion for over the water @IC Thalasso vs beach villa @ The Brando?

2. COST: The Brando is 2-3x expensive in terms of per night tariff, so I was wondering if the food and excursions would be also that expensive compared to Bora Bora. We were only offered breakfast option at The Brando, lunch and dinner is on us.

3. We are vegetarians (egg is ok). So, wondering if that would ruin our food experience. There are only two restaurants @ The Brando vs 3 restaurants @ IC Thalasso + some other options outside the property. Any suggestions as far as food is concerned?

Basically, I am trying to compare and make a decision. My travel agent is pushing me to make a decision today and I really don't have anyone who can offer help/suggestions. I really don't want to end up spending 2-3x $$$ needlessly (its already quite expensive).

Our Itinerary:
April 23-28: Hilton Moorea, King Deluxe Bungalow with private pool (didn't have any over the water bungalows available when we booked)
April 28-May 2: IC Thalasso, OW Villa

Thank you for all your suggestions
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:57 pm

I would try and avoid overwater bungalows, though that is difficult in Bora Bora and most of French Polynesia these days. They create a lot of environmental damage, they ruin the landscape and are built to maximise room capacity on generally tiny plots of land - the same applies to the Maldives where I think the situation is even more critical. Also, at a place like the Thalasso, unless you know exactly which bungalow you want, your view is likely to be of other people's bungalows.

The Hilton Moorea (formerly the Sheraton) had a very pretty site on Moorea which they ruined by building far too many rooms on the land. It should have been an Aman sort of place with about 30 rooms. I find it cramped and claustrophobic. Then the OWBs destroyed the view from the rather small beach. Lots of people like it. Can't think why. Personally I think the Sofitel is the best bet on Moorea - it's the only one with a proper beach.

I've not been to the Brando but if I were returning to FP that would be my choice. No overwater bungalows there - it seems much too classy and eco-aware for that.

Weather is always unpredictable - it will be searingly hot with a few downpours I guess.

Let us know what you decide on . . . few people on here seem to go to the South Pacific.

Last edited by Pausanias; Apr 23, 2016 at 3:48 am
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can be good to get menus and talk to chefs in advance

ask for some lunch/dinner(s) or discount or a meal plan
because brando [optional] all-inclusive rate includes a lot >
all meals
24-hour in-villa dining (E80 per order between 10pm and 6am)
beers, wines, french champagne and spirits
one excursion per person and per day...list...shared
spa treatment per villa per day
Pausanias, brando also got a lease of 1 island (12 island atoll) from the owners/estate
south pacific - aman closed, laucala/brando new, properties (& beaches?) not well regarded
brando launched with higher rates, rates still high, laucala tied for most expensive in world
theres upcoming private island MacMyDay posted that will have few villas and ex aman GM
with aman closed, not easy to get beach villa in bora bora.. at FS they are few / expensive
wish nomade yachting / bora bora cruises was still around, only ~18 cabins on great boat
ratua is an interesting looking different kind of property, only recall one brief comment here

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 27, 2016 at 7:41 am
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:12 pm

La Orana,

Thank you for your help. We got a chance to chat with a few folks at The Hilton, Moorea. Everyone told us to opt for The Brando without thinking twice. Hence we have opted for The Brando. Unfortunately, they don't have OWB since we wanted to experience that at least once, but I hope that its natural beauty (since its a private island) will offset everything else.

BTW, I suggest you stay diligent while booking with Pleasant Holidays, in case you are dealing with them. They first offered us an option of The Brando since IC Thalasso's AC was not working. When we informed them that would like to confirm our relocation to The Brando, they informed that there was no availability. I was a little skeptical since this all happened over the weekend. So, I called IC Thalasso directly and they informed that The Brando is available and they confirmed our relocation. Glad that I called the property directly. It is a pretty hot day and sunny day at Moorea (about 95) today and we tried shutting down the AC for a while in the room just to try the experience, boy it was really hot and we were sweating.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and help.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
The Brando only selling full board as part of their package. I am curious how will they handle your case?

Originally Posted by animageofmine
La Orana,

Thank you for your help. We got a chance to chat with a few folks at The Hilton, Moorea. Everyone told us to opt for The Brando without thinking twice. Hence we have opted for The Brando. Unfortunately, they don't have OWB since we wanted to experience that at least once, but I hope that its natural beauty (since its a private island) will offset everything else.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seiknujnama
The Brando only selling full board as part of their package. I am curious how will they handle your case?
they added bed & breakfast rates, not all-inclusive only like when launched

brando is same owner, so id think theyd offer options to their (owner's) displaced guests besides full all-inclusive considering how much it includes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.