FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:39 am
3rdworldresident

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Conflicted about where to stay in Bangkok this Wednesday & Thursday nights and would love any input.

I am traveling with my wife. Neither of us has ever been to Bangkok and we just thought we'd try a two-night visit after a nice week in Hong Kong. Currently I have the W booked ($150/night, SNA confirmed into a Marvelous Suite). I had the SGS booked on cash & points, but canceled it when the SNAs didn't come through but W's did.

Things we'd like to have, in order of importance:
#1 Good hard product (reliable air conditioning, nice shower/water pressure, good bed, etc.) -- reading about W led me to book it for these reasons
#2 Being "in the middle of the action" -- although we have honestly no idea what that means in terms of neighborhoods in Bangkok. (We are very well traveled and would love to be able to walk out the front door, turn the corner, and find a bar or live music or street full of food vendors, or whatnot). That said, we don't mind a short uber/taxi etc -- in HCMC we have stayed at the Park Hyatt, and taking an Uber 1-2 km to the backpackers street was just fine.
#3 Not spend a ton. I'm inclined not to want to spend more than the $150 rate I have at the W, which is why I didn't book the St. Regis (lowest rate I can get there is $237++). My other lowest available rates include: $108 (LM Suvarnabhumi), $111 (ROS), $136 (Westin), $137 (LM), $157 (Athenee), $194 (GH Erawan -- also considered staying there as I have Hyatt Glob).

Suite upgrade really isn't as important, which is why I'm asking for advice despite having cleared what looks like a nice upgrade at the W. But I've read a few places that the W is in a "business-y" location (this seems like people tend to weight it pretty strongly as a negative -- is that right?). But I've also read that it's near a Skytrain station so maybe that's not much of a negative? We have enjoyed using MTR around Hong Kong so don't mind that if it's easy to get to nightlife from the W via the Skytrain.

We would definitely make use of amenities like free drinks & laundry if available. We arrive at 7:25 p.m. Wednesday and leave around noon Friday. Would want to go out for dinner & general nightlife both Weds & Thurs.

Thanks for any thoughts, etc.
as a local, i strongly recommend the plaza athenee or the st regis (in case you can spend more)