FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What does Loyalty get you?
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:43 pm
Canada101

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
I have traveled consistently since I was in my 20's and I am now in my 40's....9 Million lifetime AA miles, Lifetime platinum on them....Diluted with the new level they introduced. Starwood is my program of choice for hotels and I am lifetime platinum and soon to pass the 2000 night mark. I currently rack up about 140-170 nights per year in Starwood hotels. For years friends have said to "diversify" go Top tier in another program.....and I resisted because I am loyal to Starwood. I have a very friendly ambassador, I receive the occasional upgrades and get free water etc. This all said, I see little benefit in staying over 101 nights? Should I start switching it up to Hyatt etc? I recently saw an interview with the head of loyalty for Marriott and he said there were 50+ people who had achieved platinum in both Star/Mar programs and they "knew who they were". What about those of us that have been loyal to Starwood throughout the years? Or perhaps I am no longer the target market as I am now an older demographic? I feel sometimes that I am playing my hand wrong here? any thoughts or advice are welcome.....Every day is a school day. Cheers!
I've often struggled with staying with Starwood past 100 nights especially when the inevitable "insult" of being excluded from targeted promos bites. I've been consistently at between 130-150 nights a year for the past few years (this year will get close to 190 nights). The argument that has won me over time and again has been the "enjoy the fruits of your labor/loyalty" argument. My travel agent has often tried to convince me to try out other chains (Hyatt in particular) but I've probably become too complacent for my own good. Ultimately, I have a choice and I've chosen to stick with Starwood partly because I truly believe that they meet my travel requirements and, more importantly, I appreciate the service/support I receive from my Ambassador.

I am generally a low maintenance guest when I travel alone and really only become a "higher" maintenance guest on the two to three stays a year I travel with my wife and kids.