FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More Horizon route cuts: The juggling continues
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:17 pm
flytoeat

Originally Posted by SOCguy
Bit of hyperbole here. I'm not going to get into specifics but as someone who deals daily with the outcome of this situation, I can tell you that one, yes, pilot staffing at QX will be a challenge for the foreseeable future, as it will be for every regional carrier. Two, we are not struggling to keep the reduced schedule intact. That is absolutely false.

It used to be that AS would simply say, QX, here's what you're going to fly for us. It didn't matter whether we had the pilots to fly that schedule or not. We were left to deal with it. See: July - October. Then someone got wise to that not being a particularly smart way to do business. Now, we say AS, this is what we're able to fly, give us a schedule that fits that, and they do. As the hiring and training gets under control, the schedule will slowly ramp back up, but we're still a year out (at least) from being at our previous levels. The goal is to operate what we're schedule to, every day, and beginning with November, we have. QX has multiple crew bases and I can tell you that every single day I work, I've started my shift with reserve pilots in nearly all of them, at the airport, and often more at home. That isn't struggling, that's supporting the schedule we have. Our November and MTD December controllable completion rate of 99.7%, coupled with excellent OT performance, is proof of that.

Nobody will argue that we're not operating flights customers want us to operate. There have been multiple schedule changes and thousands of customers negatively affected. I get it. But the doom and gloom about the schedule we're operating, right now, is unfounded. August? September? October? I wouldn't have purchased a ticket on my own airline. I now would without giving it a second thought.
Thanks for your contribution. The challenge for QX is whether they've lost too much to Skywest. AAG has shown they have no qualms about using Skywest in place of QX, when QX can't deliver. And some of the Embraer deliveries with long-term CPAs they've given over to Skywest, do not bode well for QX. And these can't be clawed back in the short term.