Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

More Horizon route cuts: The juggling continues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K

And, as I predicted, things at Horizon STILL aren't fixed. Alaska has essentially removed an entire "line" of flying of ERJ 175 aircraft and/or Q400 adjustments. These routes have been cut in March/April, which were previously being offered for sale.

On the chopping block:

SNA/RNO
PDX/BZN
PDX/MCI
PDX/OMA

Check your Alaska Air flights if you have travel on SkyWest or Horizon in the next 90 days.

Last edited by UAPremierExec; Nov 19, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:55 pm

Aside from the first, aren't these extensions of previously revealed dropped routes? With the hope that they'd just be seasonal cuts. I had a friend recently looking to go to BZN in Feb and he was disappointed PDX-BZN was gone.

The SNA drop is surprising; AS received more slots at WN's expense this year and they start off by cutting a route? Are they going to have the resources to take advantage of new slots?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Aside from the first, aren't these extensions of previously revealed dropped routes? With the hope that they'd just be seasonal cuts. I had a friend recently looking to go to BZN in Feb and he was disappointed PDX-BZN was gone.

The SNA drop is surprising; AS received more slots at WN's expense this year and they start off by cutting a route? Are they going to have the resources to take advantage of new slots?
SNA could replace RNO with mainline to SEA/PDX or OO E75s to SJC
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
It is a mess and Alaska's management team digs its heads in the sand on this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:20 pm

Hi -

I now only fly 737s or E175 routes operated by Skywest. it sometimes means longer connections in SEA, but I feel more confident they will actually operate.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17

They are increasing SEA/PDX-SNA.

I thought the PDX-MCI/OMS were seasonal reductions. But I could be wrong...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:21 pm

Never stated as seasonal: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2015-...Midwest-Cities

Originally Posted by formeraa
They are increasing SEA/PDX-SNA.

I thought the PDX-MCI/OMS were seasonal reductions. But I could be wrong...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
I'm not saying they were intended to be seasonal from the beginning. I had heard that off-peak demand was not good on these routes and that they would reduce/eliminate frequencies during off-peak periods.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm not saying they were intended to be seasonal from the beginning. I had heard that off-peak demand was not good on these routes and that they would reduce/eliminate frequencies during off-peak periods.
This does happen quite a bit. Just look at the nonstops to ANC - both to LAX/ORD/PHX/LAS/HNL and even SEA frequencies.

And Bay Area- Hawaii is variable.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
And, as I predicted, things at Horizon STILL aren't fixed. Alaska has essentially removed an entire "line" of flying of ERJ 175 aircraft and/or Q400 adjustments. These routes have been cut in March/April, which were previously being offered for sale.
Maybe you should offer your services to AS so that everything gets made right very quickly.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:48 pm

Perhaps, but I have never found a press release that says the flight is seasonal....not binding on anyone, but wow, this just really illustrates the problems going forward. Leave in PDX and Alaska has hosed you, it's that simple.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by 98103
Maybe you should offer your services to AS so that everything gets made right very quickly.
I just know how to read thru the PR bull**)#$(. Its easy to spot the redirections in interviews and in the press releases.

Horizon's ability to fix itself was destroyed last May. AAG is presently shopping the Horizon certificate to other airlines right now. That won't mean an end to the QX-AS CPA agreement (codeshare), but it does mean that AAG has realized Horizon is now a liability on the balance sheet. Would not surprise me if QX becomes a part of an airline based in the midwest.

And, for what its worth, even Delta/Northwest sold Compass.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec

Horizon's ability to fix itself was destroyed last May. AAG is presently shopping the Horizon certificate to other airlines right now.
It is this public info?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is this public info?
It has happened before, when Horizon Airlines operated Frontier Airlines flights with QX CRJ700.

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/newsr...920_113954.asp

Jiburi
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by jiburi
It has happened before, when Horizon Airlines operated Frontier Airlines flights with QX CRJ700.
Flying for another airline under a capacity purchase agreement is quite different than having an airline's AOC sold.

Southwest purchased the AOC from the American Trans Air bankruptcy sale, for example...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.