FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Travel Visa Errors and Issues for Two Honeymooners
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:05 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by khibner
I verified and Lisa's Schengen Visa does say Etats Schengen. If this is the case, then why did the Timatic system deny Lisa boarding?

Also, we have written to AA several times within the last 6 months. They did provide some compensation, but not full compensation. To me, it is the principal - Lisa went to three embassies to make sure that she did have proper documentation. She did - Etats Schengen. We recieved a letter from the Italian embassy verifying that her Visa was worded the way that they wanted and even stated in their letter that American Airlines was wrong to deny boarding. We are being told that we did everything right and that American screwed up. If this is the case, we just want American to make Lisa and Joe "whole." Why should Lisa and Joe foot the bill for American's mistakes?
Thank you for clarifying; that makes a crucial difference.

The principle here is, if the permitted states line says Etats Schengen, AA improperly denied boarding. The agent interpreted TIMATUC strictly and anyone else in the communications chain did as well. IATA ought to revise their display to include the more usual “Etats Schengen”, but that’s not your principal concern. Asking to speak to a supervisor may have well resolved the issue, but the issue wasn’t resolved and “Lisa” was denied boarding.)

Follow through (you can advise “Joe and Lisa”) with AA as I’ve suggested above, with the executive you’d prefer to address. (I’d recommend Sean Bentel), as AA needs to inform their agents via supervisor or help desk if the visa is for Etats Schengen that is inclusive of all Schengen signatory states.

Be sure to be succinct, attach documentation (including the visa), and be clear about your expectations - the reimbursement you expect (but AA is likely to de line lost hotel bookings as “special, incidental or consequential damages“). You might also mention it’s likely other passengers have been or will be affected and corrective action with staff will help remedy this.

You might want to send a copy to the US Department of Transportation.

Send a copy to

Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590

And yes, I ‘m pretty sure I’ve heard of restricted visas allowing specific states to be visited. They are rare, but iirc I recall one regarding Spain. Irrelevant to this case. In diplomatic - political issues, never say “never”.