FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EXP Agent accidentally cancelled companion's BA ticket, who should pay to replace?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:50 pm
policomm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
This is going to be an uphill battle, trying to get reimbursed for a $1,000 cash outlay which may have effectively been voluntary.
A few questions, for completeness:
1) When did you make the change to your ticket? While you were in ARN or before the initial trip?
2) Any reason your friend didn't try to do online checkin in advance of the ARN-LHR flight?
3) How early before the flight did your friend arrive at ARN and what was the timeline of discussions with AA/BA that led up to your friend purchasing the walk-up ticket

As I mentioned, it's probably going to be an uphill battle. But here's how I would proceed. I think the correspondence will have to come from your friend:
1) File the complaint with AA via their web form. Try to be as concise as you can while providing all the relevant information. Good chance they'll tell you to pound sand. Try another back-and-forth.
2) Consider escalating the complaint within AA by mailing the correspondence to the CEO at the corporate headquarters. There is an executive staff there that deals with this type of stuff.
3) Concurrent with #2 , file a complaint with the Department of Transportation's Aviation Consumer Protection Division. Sometimes this can result in a more favorable response.
4) Be prepared to file suit in small claims court. It's reportedly easy and inexpensive to do, and has proven effective for some as a last resort. Reasonable chance AA may try to settle, perhaps not for the full amount, but it's probably your best hope.

Good luck.

PS, Don't bother going the credit card chargeback route, the $1000 purchase with BA will be seen as legit; it won't be tied to the snafu on behalf of AA.
1) made the change to my ticket while in ARN
2) no particular reason he didn't check in online, wasn't checking a bag or anything so was just planning on grabbing boarding pass from the self service kiosk
3) he arrived ~2.5 hours before departure. BA looked on there end for about 15 min before calling me then it took me another 15 minutes to get someone from AA on the line but that call lasted <5 min because the agent basically said "there's no record of any change, not sure what you want me to do here" and I was on a bad international phone connection. We also purchased the walk up ticket with full knowledge that it is possible we'll be SOL on the cost, but that's a less than ideal outcome.

Appreciate you thoughts on next steps. I've already filled out a complaint, though I did it under my name with the thinking that they might take this more seriously given status vs some random flyer.

I hadn't thought of mailing a hard copy, great idea. Do you suggest the address in the wiki here as the best point of contact?

RE small claims court, any idea if it matters where that would end up being filed? Given that this issue occurred between two EU countries do you think it's worth complaining to anyone there in addition to FAA? I was stuck in Vienna during the BA Bank Holiday meltdown and got like $600 within days on complaining via the EU specific form.