FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are coach-class travelers looked down on by premium-class ones?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:31 pm
ysolde
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by mdkowals
There was a girl in my high school class who flew a couple of times in first class (in high school, circa 1995). She looked down on those of us in the back of the plane for sure. Her dad had gotten a "big promotion" or something. I think because of that, my young adult opinion was that the front of the plane is for rich snobby types.

After growing up, I realized people up there are mostly just normal people who fly a lot (including occasionally me now). Sprinkled in there is the occasional snob.
Hehe. I went to HS in the 80s with a gal who had a similar attitude. She went to Europe every summer (FC only, of course), to visit family. She couldn't understand how the rest of us lived without swimming pools in our backyards, and a car and driver to get us to and from school. On and on it went. As it turned out, really bad things had been done, and they lost the house with the pool, the car and driver, and I guess the family in Europe turned out to be not so close or something, since they never came to visit the US.

Anyhow, as someone who did spend summers visiting grandparents and other relatives in Europe from the time I was a kid, I was smart and kept my mouth shut about it. When people asked me how I spent my summer, I would just say, "With my grandparents and my cousins." No one asked me anything more. To this day, when people ask me about class of travel, I keep it vague, and people assume we fly coach. A heck of a lot easier than explaining the lengths I go to to find premium seats at decent prices. Which is none of anyone's business. Outside of this forum.