FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanyangyun (Shanghai, China): first impressions
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:21 pm
chinmoylad
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks so much for the photos and details!

While AmanYY looks beautiful, I’m still struggling to see the appeal for a property that has no real sights to see nearby and is 1-2 hrs drive from downtown Shanghai. This reminds me of Amanemu in Shima, Japan—a beautiful spa and wedding destination resort intended for wealthy Japanese getaways rather than the typical luxury Aman market.
Other than the story behind the place, yep - that's exactly what it feels like. Bear in mind Shanghai and neighbouring Hangzhou and Suzhou have plenty of wealthy potential clients that would do frequent weekend stays at a place like this (plus the weddings aspect as you said), along with those coming over for short/long weekends from other nearby cities - or at best, Amanjunkies staying in main Shanghai and then deciding to spend an extra 1-3 nights to relax at the end of their stay.

I'm awaiting more photos from Aman, but other than the slightly out of context placement for it, it does look nicely constructed. Thanks for the photos @Fliar!

In main Shanghai itself - curious to see the all-villa Capella. It's in a very good location - I should have checked it out but had too much to do last time.