Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanyangyun (Shanghai, China): first impressions

Amanyangyun (Shanghai, China): first impressions

Old May 4, 18, 7:39 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
I'm curious to see how Amanyangyun will go re: Virtuoso because while the Virtuoso benefits at the other Amans are practically pointless (since Aman has its own specials that are better to book), Amanyangyun would be one of those hotels where guests typically don't stay 4, 5, 6 etc nights and thus a 1-2 night booking with Virtuoso benefits could come in very handy.

Aman Tokyo and Amanemu among the other where they only offer Standard Daily Rate, or the Standard Daily Rate combinable with Virtuoso is better than booking one of their packages (at least until recently - saw some 'specials' at Aman Tokyo of late).
Agreed!
Old Aug 6, 18, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
I was invited to return in June by its wonderful GM. I was keen to see how the facilities would look now that they were finished (building was still ongoing when I first stayed) and how the service would have developed. I was very impressed by both aspects in that staff their English was greatly improved, with some having very good English (especially by Chinese standards). More importantly, staff confidence had developed and there was a sense of belonging, which is impressive after only 6 months.

The Chinese cultural centre offers wonderful activities. The 'incense appreciation class' lasted for 1:20 and was very interesting indeed. The complimentary meditation session was fabulous too. The lady running the wangfushyan has excellent English and is very approachable. The gym facilities are important to me and they were among the best I have ever seen. I had a massage which was excellent. Both the Italian and the Chinese food were excellent (with the Shanghai food being better than what I had in the city) and it was great to see a sommelier in place now, whose English was good and was keen to share her knowledge of Chinese wines. I stayed in a modern suite (a nice contrast to the previous visit where I stayed in one of the enormous traditional houses) and it was supremely comfortable. Very Aman - beautiful blend of local/global, old/new.

People have rightfully questioned why one would visit YY and I agree that it does not offer a compelling proposition for most tourists to China, unlike Fayun and Dayan (truly fabulous properties) and Aman at Summer Palace (flawed but still wonderful; see my recent re-review). First-time visitors to Shanghai will want to stay in the city, not in a bland area 45 minutes away from the city. The primary clientele will probably be mostly Chinese and expats looking for a weekend get-away, and for this it is fantastic. Nonetheless, there is plenty here to make a short visit an interesting and highly relaxing option before or after a long flight. The cultural activities, the facilities and the beautiful rooms, coupled with the excellent food and wonderful spa complex actually combined to give me a memorable stay. I think of it as the Chinese version of Amanusa, if that makes sense.
vuittonsofstyle and nmuva98 like this.
Old Aug 6, 18, 1:58 am

Wonderful update ó thank you!
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:38 am

Anyone stayed at AmanYY recently? I'll be in Shanghai in July for a few days. Is it worth extending my trip to stay a two nights here? I've been to Shanghai 3 times before, so the city isn't completely new to me.
Old Mar 29, 19, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
I would say a night will be enough - if you can check in on time and check out late so as to make full use of it. I don't see the need to stay 2 nights TBH...
Old Mar 29, 19, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MicSanToro View Post
Anyone stayed at AmanYY recently? I'll be in Shanghai in July for a few days. Is it worth extending my trip to stay a two nights here? I've been to Shanghai 3 times before, so the city isn't completely new to me.
If you want to stay way outside of town, I'm thinking the IC Wonderland would provide a better bang for the buck. Please note that I haven't been to either property myself, but the underwater thing intrigues me.
Old Mar 29, 19, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
If you want to stay way outside of town, I'm thinking the IC Wonderland would provide a better bang for the buck. Please note that I haven't been to either property myself, but the underwater thing intrigues me.
Iím staying at the RC Pudong while Iím in Shanghai. Not looking for a side trip outside of town unless itís to AmanYY, and thatís why I was wondering if anyone had stayed recently. Thanks for the suggestion, though.