FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Override
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:52 am
Jon Maiman

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by NAJetSet
So I booked our annual holdiay vacation in February '17 for January '18, at our usual resort in hawaii (Waikoloa). The rate at the time, was the usual rate we've more or less been paying for the last decade or so each year, so didn't think anything of it. (although I was concerned last year as they just converted half the hotel to vacation club...)
I just logged in today to do some other bookings for unrelated business, but was looking at the waikoloa confirmation, and noticed it now says "Changes can not be made to Platinum Override Reservations, please call...". This wasn't a plat override origianlly, it wasn't even a 'special rate', just the market rate at the time. I did notice that the market rate now is about 6 times higher though.

Any thoughts why this is now an 'override' booking?, and are there any down sides? Also I'm Plat. Premier, and have been for years, but not sure if that makes any difference.
When you make a reservation, there isn't any indication/notification that it is a platinum override. So even though the rate was good when you made the reservation it could have been a platinum override at that point. Furthermore, when you go to change a reservation if the property is in a sell out condition at that time, I believe your reservation is considered to be a platinum override at that point. Bottom line, you have lost the flexibility to make changes to your reservation but other than that there aren't any other downsides.

--Jon

P.S. If you need to make changes, keep checking by trying to make a second reservation. Availability changes all of the time. You can also do reservations for individual nights and then have them combined later. Sometimes it is easier to get changes one night at a time as availability opens up.