FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Executive MasterCard [2016-2017]
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:10 pm
jtav559

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
So after reading through 279 posts, I feel I have a good grasp on my situation. But would love the insight of others.

Got the AA Plat MC in November 2014. Waived AF a few times. Called up this year to have the AF conversation. 3 separate calls and no agent could give me any offer - since I had a bonus miles for spending in a statement period offer active in the last few months (It had expired statement before the AF posted).

So with the dilemma of canceling the card and having to wait 24 months to re-apply and garner a new sign up bonus on Plat, paying the $95 AF to maintain the status quo, or upgrading the card to the Exec - I went with option #3 . Have some travel coming up where the AC membership would be a nice feature, and I have a global entry renewal coming up. No bonus offers were attached to the upgrade to exec, just the new benefits it has.

My question is, I am well past the 24 month since account opening window -Can I elect to apply for another Plat card whenever it works for me and be eligible for the sign up bonus available at the time? Or did that card "upgrade" to exec count as an account opening? I would think it did not count as one, since my card # is same, same login for Citi online, no other changes besides the standard card upgrade process. But logic and Citibank are not exactly synonymous.

Appreciate the help!