FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Muddy Boots in First Class: New Zealand (CX/NZ J, SQ/NH F)
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:54 am
txflyer77

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Muddy Boots in First Class: New Zealand (CX/NZ J, SQ/NH F)

Muddy Boots in First Class: Three Weeks in New Zealand, plus stops in Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo

DEN-SFO-HKG-AKL-NSN/WLG-ZQN-AKL-SYD-SIN-NRT-SFO-DEN

Routeburn Track, South Island

I started booking this trip nearly a year ago—finding premium award availability to New Zealand from the US is one of the trickier bookings I've put together, but I managed a pretty nice itinerary in the end. Cathay Pacific from SFO to HKG in F, a day in HKG, then J on to AKL. Bought all the flights within NZ, then used SQ miles to book AKL-SYD-SIN-NRT-SFO on NZ J, SQ Suites, SQ F and NH F, with an evening+overnight in Singapore and a full 24 hours in Tokyo. Bought DEN-SFO-DEN to round it out and even got to spend a day cruising down the SF peninsula on my way to HKG. 80k AS miles for the outbound CX flights and 127k SQ miles for the return.

I originally planned to follow the standard tourist itinerary—Rotorua, Mt. Cook, Kaikoura, etc. Threw all of that out the window after meeting a Kiwi at a coffee shop here in Boulder. He saw me reading Lonely Planet New Zealand and, fresh off the plane himself, spent 20 minutes flipping through it marking all the off-the-beaten-path places I needed to go. Tossed my entire plan and went with his! Full itinerary looked like this in the end:
  • 2 nights in Auckland, with my full day spent on Waiheke Island
  • 3 nights in Nelson, including a trip into Abel Tasman National Park
  • 3 nights in Kenepuru Sound (part of Marlborough Sound), at a place called Hopewell Lodge
  • 2 nights in Wellington
  • 2 nights hiking the epic Routeburn Track
  • 4 nights in Queenstown
  • 1 night in Auckland due to an early morning AKL-SYD flight to start my return journey
29,593 miles, 11 flights, 10 boat rides, 1 helicopter flight, >40 miles hiking, 10 miles biking and many, many glasses of New Zealand cider and wine.

Upcoming posts:
  1. VX Y DEN-SFO and cruising down to Pescadero, or when things start to go wrong
  2. CX F J SFO-HKG
  3. A full day in Hong Kong
  4. CX J HKG-AKL
  5. Auckland and Waiheke Island
  6. NZ Y AKL-NSN
  7. Nelson and Abel Tasman National Park
  8. Kenepuru Sound
  9. Interislander Ferry and Wellington
  10. NZ Y WLG-ZQN
  11. Hiking the Routeburn Track with Ultimate Hikes
  12. Queenstown
  13. NZ Y ZQN-AKL, NZ J AKL-SYD
  14. SQ Suites SYD-SIN
  15. SQ F SIN-NRT
  16. Tokyo
  17. NH F NRT-SFO
Previously from txflyer77
Working Remote, a month in Penang and Koh Lanta, Thailand + HK, Beijing (CX/JL/KA F)
Tokyo, Taipei and Hong Kong! (JL/CX F, BR Hello Kitty C, lots of city pix)
A conference and some hiking: to Berlin and the Alps in LH F!