FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Double points promo (15Nov-31Dec 17)
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:13 am
59Impala
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by MarkOK

I must say, I am somewhat surprised that people are surprised that bookings on Concur and other indirect means don't count -- I ALWAYS book my flights and hotels directly, and one of the reasons is because it is a NORMAL part of the industry to treat their direct customers best.

I don't know what Concur collects as fees (other than that really lame 7$ on airline tickets), but they quite literally are the definition of a useless middle-man business vendor with a terrible product but somehow has the connections to get corporate buyers to bite in. Concur has never had a cheaper flight or hotel offered in my experience. And their website is cruddy-- I once had a major flight change (afternoon itinerary became a morning itinerary). Concur didn't email me any information on this, and on their site had both the old and the new flights shown as an itinerary (it had two departures, two connections, and two arrivals, all with 'layover' times between each occurrence -- it gave me a 11 minute layover between the arrival of my original later flight at DFW and the departure of my new earlier itenerary out of DFW). It didn't 'fix' ever. Anyways, I have to use it all the time to take screen shots to 'prove' that I couldn't have gotten a cheaper rate (airline or hotel) with concur but I never purchase through it.

I FULLY CONCUR to what you say, and that Concur is an unnecessary middle thing. you are right, that when booking directly, you normally get better service, especially during disruptions etc.
However, some corporations will not refund your expenses, if not booked through the corporate booking tool. This can be checked by the expense system. hence, you are actually forced to use the corporate channel. To my knowledge, Concur get 150$ per booking from my company, so it's more than the 7$ you mentioned.

Also, corporations may get kickbacks from airlines/hotels, will be able to count the amount of nights booked and hence negotiate better deals etc... same as with the Corporate AMEX card, the corporation gets kickback on the total amount, hence I am forced to use the card.