FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Double points promo (15Nov-31Dec 17)
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:15 am
CloudCoder

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'm at 105 nights this year. After qualifying for Hyatt, I qualified in other programs and/or i'm enjoying the opportunity to choose based on price and convenience. The brilliant Hyatt strategist, who decided that all bonuses stop at 100 nights, cost their company at least 100 nights from this one traveler this one year.

Then, of course, they came up with a guaranteed plan to lure me back.

This double-points promo, along with another promo "spend $300 and get $50 back", is _almost_ enough to make me switch a stay to Hyatt. Almost, but not quite.

If I had to sum it up in just one word, the word I'd choose is 'I can't stand being lied to". Promised a suite, but you have to beg for it. Free breakfast, but they still charge you some or all of it. You have suite upgrades, but they can't actually be used. You earned a free night, but it expires quickly. You earned a free night, but if you use it, you lose benefits (suite upgrade, etc.) for your entire stay. To be totally honest, I actually prefer AirBNB. They promise you NOTHING, and they deliver exactly as promised. I'd much rather have a truthful stay (you get what was promised) than a Hyatt stay.

As of right now, I jump back into the pool in 2018. I could easily requalify by March, but that's like shooting yourself in the foot (because the sooner you qualify, the sooner your benefits expire). If Hyatt fixed that one thing, i.e. if they made benefits expire at the same time as the status, I'd gladly stay at Hyatt more often.

Executive summary: Double Points, $50 back, etc ... insufficient promo.