FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:06 am
GreigM

Programs: United 1K, United 1MM, HH Diamond
Cancelled flight from UK, losing status - options?

I was due to fly on a flight from EDI to EWR last week and an hour after the departure time the announcement was made that the aircraft was unserviceable (fault with a door) and the flight was cancelled. I called my travel agent who managed to get me an alternative route (United's offers were useless) and so I flew the same day using icelandair, arriving some 10hrs later than planned.

I have 2 issues/queries:
1. What are my rights to compensation under the EU rules (do these apply to US carriers?). Going onto the United "Customer Appreciation" site they offer a $300 e-certificate, which isn't even covering my increased costs for the different flight, airport transfer etc. Is this in addition to any legally required compensation, or if I take this is that all they will offer? Am I right in thinking as this was a flight over 3500km I should be entitled to €600 for a complete cancellation?

2. Somewhat my bigger issue - I needed this flight to retain my Gold status. Without the PQMs I'm short and for the first year in 20 years I won't have gold next year. This makes a difference to me as I use it for the E+ upgrade, and do about 10 return trips uk->us a year, having to pay for the E+ seating assignment is going to work out around $2500+ in cost. Is there any way they will honor the miles (I would intend to negotiate this before asking about the compansation in #1) - whats the best way to approach this, and with who?