FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:49 pm
Stripe

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by I 40
What is the priority for FC on a paid FC ticket doing a SDSB?

Today- Paid FC ticket, decided I wanted to leave later in the day. Online only showing SDSB (wonder how accurate this is, Delta, where I have the most experience doing this, usually incorrect).

Only the 3rd time I have done this. First 2 times there appeared to be no seats in FC and I flew coach. Interesting that I received a refund both times for the fare difference,( but still got double EQMs).

Today, I notice there are FC seats available, but they clear the upgrades first , then the standbys, so I clear into coach.

I asked the gate agent why they would upgrade someone over paid first (and then refund them the $s) , and he said that is how it is done.

If correct, seems like an odd business practice.

Why would they upgrade someone else over a paid FC ticket, then refund them the fare difference?
It should work the way you expected, but it appears the agent did not work the lists correctly. I had a coach ticket out of AUS and was at the top of the upgrade list for two open seats. Should have been a slam dunk. However, there were two people with F tickets for a later flight standing by for my flight. The two F standbys got the seats. From the conversations with agents, it seemed easy to get this messed up. On the upgrade list I was indeed number one, but the agent had to consult a separate standby list to see if there were F pax standing by. In your case the GA should have handled you first, then cleared upgrades, then the rest of the standbys.

Sloppy systems that allow an agent to handle things according to their discretion, combined with poor training, leads to inconsistent and incorrect service.