FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia's new A330, B777 business class
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:53 pm
wanderlust4life

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I flew on VA 6 from LAX to BNE on Wednesday 11/15. Catering has been improved greatly but still not up to VA standards. Vouchers were handed out at check in and I used them at the Border Grill.

Dinner: First course options: chicken caesar salad, vegetarian salad, turkey sandwich
second course options: penne pasta with tomato sauce, chicken with rice, Mac and cheese
dessert: chocolate ice cream, salted caramel ice cream, cheese plate

Breakfast: ham egg and cheese sandwich, muesli bowl, yogurt, muffin, juice cup

The food was more like an American/United economy fusion on long-haul but more emphasis on food that looked and tasted like it was out of a sizzler. Presentation was basic and none of the usual dinner settings. Instead just a tray handed out with the food on it. Drinks were normal but some of the wines and champagne were substituted with lower quality options.

I chose the Caesar salad and Mac and cheese and chocolate ice cream for dinner. The Caesar salad was almost identical to the one sold at at Starbucks with dressing on side. And the Mac and cheese was like an easy Mac. Nothing fancy. And the ice cream was basic but yummy of course. There was definitely enough food to eat on plane so if you don’t mind more basic food options you’ll be fine. Wholesome and comfort food really! Just not very gourmet. I didn’t mind it much.

Breakfast was okay. Sandwich was similar to a microwaveable jimmy deans one from the frozen section in the grocery store.

Crew were extremely apologetic and flight manager tried to do everything possible with modifications to satisfy passengers. They said normal catering and serving should resume by next week but I don’t know how accurate that may be. The flights out of Australia are all great and running fine with all the small details including the cute opera house salt and pepper and Luke Mangan chef cuisine.

I have no idea what premium or economy got so I don’t know if economy still had just the cold tuna and rice or if they were able to serve a hot option like Mac and cheese