FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 9 days in Germany
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:01 pm
dj_jay_smith

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by levistrauss
.... Wiesbaden Christmas market appealed to my wife as well. I will try to have a basic plan that includes that city.

If you go to Wiesbaden then it is worth a trip out to Ruedesheim on the Rhein. A very touristy place, but they have an international Christmas market which is a bit different to most.

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
It is very unlikely that you will encounter snow unless you drive up the alps above 1000m (3000feet). ....
I don't agree with this. It is possible to get a snow storm anytime before.
Where I live we are at 380m, and in the beginning of October 2016 we had a snow storm that left 5cm+ of snow on the ground. While this is very rare to get so much snow so early at this level, such a storm is always possible. On the flip side a few years ago we had 12c in December!

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
If you have an interest in beer, Bamberg (a bit north of Nürnberg) is worth a visit. Lovely old medieval city (UNESCO World Heritage site) with a bunch of old churches -- and the only place north of the Alps with the tomb of a Pope. Oh, and 10 breweries...

Bamberg is lovely and well worth a trip, but the beer is very special smokey beer which I personally don't like much. So I wouldn't go there just for the beer unless you are sure you will like this.

Michelstadt, in the Oldenwald south of Frankfurt also has a nice Christmas market which is a bit different.