FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Canada"s #1 Travel Rewards Card is getting even better" - what a crock
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:01 am
Symmetre

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
If you want a credit card that gives you a few “free” lounge visits, the card will cost you more. (Like TD’s Infinite Privilege Visa. $400 a year.)

Want unlimited lounge access? Prepare to pay. That’d be the Amex Platinum for $700 a year.
My Amex business platinum is $399 a year Canadian and gives me unlimited lounge access.

But you're right, anyone who gets a card specifically for lounge access needs their head examined. It's not a good value for that alone.

If you get a card for the combination of lounge access, travel insurance, rental car insurance and points earning potential, then it may very well be worthwhile - as it is for me with the business platinum Amex. Although it costs me $400 a year, it probably saves me $800 a year by not having to insure rental cars. After that, everything else is just gravy.

Frankly, it would be nice to see WestJet do a co-branded card with Amex that has similar benefits, but rewards in Westjet dollars rather than Amex points.