Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Canada"s #1 Travel Rewards Card is getting even better" - what a crock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis

RBC is increasing the annual fee to $119. I was considering cancelling, and now it's a sure thing. I have serious doubts about getting any value from my companion ticket sitting in my account, so it's definitely not worth renewing.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Any idea when?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
The RBC application page says it's effective November 1st. Any additional card will go up to $59/card as well. My boyfriend was on the fence too but now he'll definitely cancel as we have other cards to play with.

I suppose by raising the fee the cost of going to Hawaii ($299) or Europe ($399) wouldn't go down a bit would it?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Agreed. Canadian credit cards are near worthless, and WestJet dollars were already stingy
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:24 pm

Perhaps that is why they are giving the $20 loyalty bonus on Sep 5th.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
Perhaps that is why they are giving the $20 loyalty bonus on Sep 5th.
Where did that come from? I don't recall seeing that mentioned anywhere.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Where did that come from? I don't recall seeing that mentioned anywhere.
I got this email last month....although it does say targeted in the fine print.

Thank you for your loyalty with a bonus just for you.*

As a WestJet RBC® World Elite MasterCard‡ cardholder, your loyalty is important to us. To demonstrate our appreciation, on September 5th, we’re depositing 20 bonus WestJet dollars into your WestJet Rewards account. Remember – you can use your WestJet dollars to save even more when you book your companion voucher online. Talk about easy.

Or use your WestJet dollars towards the base fare for any WestJet flight or a WestJet Vacation and even our new Member Exclusive fares to over 200 destinations.** Continue using your card to earn more WestJet dollars to go to more places.~

Ready to start planning your next trip? Check out where you can go with your WestJet dollars.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Prepare for it to be gone September 6th like the other e-mail bonuses of late.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Prepare for it to be gone September 6th like the other e-mail bonuses of late.
There is no reference to it expiring like the other emails have had in the past so I am thinking it's probably good for a year.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
"What a crock"???

Clearly YMMV, but I'm still a big fan of the card.

I've made great use of the companion fare benefit -- which has more than paid for the card each year. And for those who fly regularly (but not enough to have Gold status) the free checked bag benefit is great.

Personally, I still think the card is a very good value.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
"What a crock"???

Clearly YMMV, but I'm still a big fan of the card.

I've made great use of the companion fare benefit -- which has more than paid for the card each year. And for those who fly regularly (but not enough to have Gold status) the free checked bag benefit is great.

Personally, I still think the card is a very good value.
I agree and will keep the card for the free luggage and companion fare.
i would like to see them add lounge passes for the extra annual fee!!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:13 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Hi there, we are sorry to hear about your disappointment with the increase of fees. WestJet does not set the fees, those are decided on by the bank and we provide the benefits. You already know about the Companion Voucher, which is a great way to travel! We do not have any black out dates when you use your rewards, and we also allow free checked bags for you (an up to eight others on the same reservation). We do hope we are able to welcome you again in the future. -Maria
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
I agree and will keep the card for the free luggage and companion fare.
i would like to see them add lounge passes for the extra annual fee!!
I agree also. The ability to get a free bag for me and my travel companions on the same file as well as the companion pass makes it worth it to me. I recoup the annual fee on what I save in baggage fees quickly and come out ahead with any subsequent trips I take after that.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

"What a crock"???
Yes, the statement that an increase in the annual fee for no additional benefit meaning the card is "getting even better" is a complete crock.

I've made great use of the companion fare benefit.
I'm happy for you, really I am. I did once, but cannot find any fares in a reasonable range to make it worthwhile this year. The fare has to be high enough so that the companion ticket offers value, but low enough so that the total makes it worthwhile. It's the second part that I haven't found for quite some time. Most WestJet fares to locations I'd like to visit are about double what I feel is reasonable, so the companion fare would need zero cost to be only barely worth it. The companion fare is basically $200 and going up to $220 for continental flights. And I find the $400 companion fare to Hawaii to be pretty much never worth it. But I keep looking, and hoping...

And for those who fly regularly (but not enough to have Gold status) the free checked bag benefit is great.
Only if you check bags.

Originally Posted by WestJet
Hi there, we are sorry to hear about your disappointment with the increase of fees. WestJet does not set the fees, those are decided on by the bank and we provide the benefits.
I'm not blaming WestJet for the increse - I just wish WestJet could make a deal with a better bank. RBC is pretty much the worst bank in North America when it comes to fees of all sorts.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 12, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm not blaming WestJet for the increse - I just wish WestJet could make a deal with a better bank. RBC is pretty much the worst bank in North America when it comes to fees of all sorts.
Please explain how the fees RBC charges, make it the worst bank in North America? I currently pay $5.95 ($10.95 - $5.00 credit) monthly for unlimited banking with RBC.

I'm contemplating switching my Avion, for the Westjet card atm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.