FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Availability changes based on connection? GPU across seperate tickets help!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:28 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
1. I cannot book from ORD-SFO-FRA-TLV, the fare immediately books into Y, no discounted fares. Is there a way to fly from Chicago, keeping the connection in SFO, but be able to get a discounted fare. Premier Desk says it is not possible because SFO is not in the routing from ORD to TLV. Is there any way to change connection cities... etc... to change this? I assume no. Since I am flying from ORD regardless, I'd rather take advantage of the GPU if it could upgrade the domestic segment as well, but it would have to be on the same ticket.
No. You can't route ORD-SFO-*-TLV as it's not permitted by the routing rules. You also cannot combine a discount SFO-TLV fare with a domestic fare. While possible, I doubt this would change for a different fare break point on the West Coast.

2. Again, I assume this is a no. But since the pricing does not like me connecting in SFO and makes me book into full fare, if I instead book separate from SFO and also book separately the connection from ORD, is there a chance they would somehow be able to apply the GPU all the way thru even though they are on separate tickets?
Extremely doubtful, as you are already going into a grey area by making a split ticket connection to book what is otherwise not allowed on a single ticket.

3. I have been playing around with different origin cities in the routing that would include SFO on a discounted fare (all West Coast cities + PHX, LAS etc).
When I look at SFO-FRA direct, it will show P9 PN9 R9 RN9.
When I look at LAX-SFO-FRA, it will show P9 PN9 R0 RN0 on the SFO-FRA segment. Again, same date/same flight as the direct search. Even better, when I search PHX-SFO-FRA, it comes up as P0 PN0 R0 RN0. Why is this happening. It is the same date/flight, but based on the origin, the upgrade availability completely changes. Is this by design, or an error?
It's "by design" in that for a revenue booking class, all that matters is availability on LAX-FRA or PHX-FRA. However, upgrades clear on a per-segment basis, and so you should only care about SFO-FRA as an individual segment. They don't care enough to make Expert Mode behave differently for R and PN than for other classes.