FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC ignores multiple SFO ATC go around orders Oct22
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:30 pm
YEG_SE4Life

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar
"Having doubts about flying AC". Hmmm, it is tough to discuss that dispassionately or in an evidence based way that is not going to devolve into AC lovers/haters.

So let me put it a different way, if I may: is there a specific threshold in Canada, with the TSB, or outside of Canada with FAA or somewhere that would trigger a review or investigation of the airline? Meaning so many near misses within a specific time frame, so many violations or incidents or some sort that would cross a threshold and make a safety review mandatory? Or is this just all collectively discretionary and we are just supposed to trust that even 20 (or 50 or 100) smaller problems are not indicative of a systemic issue? And yes I know there haven't been 20 issues, it is just for purposes of framing the question.
I can't speak to the airline business. A motor carrier has to have a Safety Fitness Certificate in most provinces. They just call it something else in other provinces. As a motor carrier has violations or incidents, they get recorded on their profile. When they have a certain amount of violations or incidents, an audit is sparked. The results of the audit could force the carrier off the road. I don't know, but I suspect aviation would also have some form of Safety Fitness measure.