FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How inexperienced are Mixed Fleet?
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:36 am
williamn78

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
How inexperienced are Mixed Fleet?

I'm a regular on the YYZ route, traveling a mix of Y, PY and J. In April last year the route moved to Mixed Fleet and the lack of experience was immediately noticeable.

Yesterday I travelled in Y to YYZ, and as with previous flights documented elsewhere, there were lots of faults with the service:

- Screens in Exit rows not being brought out for the safety video
- meal service not commencing until 2.5 hours into flight, and then being completely shambolic
- meal service starting from the back of the cabin (never seen this before!)
- Tea coffee then arriving 1 minute after receiving my meal tray (sat in the front of cabin)
- no bar service with meal. Pax in front of me told that they don't serve drinks with meals, which is incorrect
-Attempts to clear meal trays even though we'd only just received them
- Woman across aisle not receiving meal at all until she enquired.
- First few rows of Y served PY 'snack' until it became clear there weren't enough sandwiches to go around - it was clear that the crew had no familiarity with what should be served in which cabin. When it was realised it was just a basket pass we weren't allowed any choice, just what we were given

All small irritations. But it got me wondering. Just how new do these crew have to be not to know such basic things, and does that also mean their familiarity with more important safety-related issues is similarly sketchy?