How inexperienced are Mixed Fleet?

Old Oct 24, 17, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
How inexperienced are Mixed Fleet?

I'm a regular on the YYZ route, traveling a mix of Y, PY and J. In April last year the route moved to Mixed Fleet and the lack of experience was immediately noticeable.

Yesterday I travelled in Y to YYZ, and as with previous flights documented elsewhere, there were lots of faults with the service:

- Screens in Exit rows not being brought out for the safety video
- meal service not commencing until 2.5 hours into flight, and then being completely shambolic
- meal service starting from the back of the cabin (never seen this before!)
- Tea coffee then arriving 1 minute after receiving my meal tray (sat in the front of cabin)
- no bar service with meal. Pax in front of me told that they don't serve drinks with meals, which is incorrect
-Attempts to clear meal trays even though we'd only just received them
- Woman across aisle not receiving meal at all until she enquired.
- First few rows of Y served PY 'snack' until it became clear there weren't enough sandwiches to go around - it was clear that the crew had no familiarity with what should be served in which cabin. When it was realised it was just a basket pass we weren't allowed any choice, just what we were given

All small irritations. But it got me wondering. Just how new do these crew have to be not to know such basic things, and does that also mean their familiarity with more important safety-related issues is similarly sketchy?
Old Oct 24, 17, 7:41 am

Bait click headline... Thought this was going to be a continuation of the Sun story
Old Oct 24, 17, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I have travelled quite a few MF routes. I notice the difference less and less. On my last flight I only noticed because they put on hats at the end of the flight.
Old Oct 24, 17, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Originally Posted by muscat View Post
bait click headline... Thought this was going to be a continuation of the sun story
😂😂
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Very inexperienced at the moment, many of the experienced crew are on return to work courses after being on strike.
Most of what you posted are service failures but thereis no longer a drinks served with the meal, wine and any other drinks to go with the meal should be taken during the drinks round
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by srbrenna View Post
I have travelled quite a few MF routes. I notice the difference less and less. On my last flight I only noticed because they put on hats at the end of the flight.
Which route, WW crew also wear the hat on A380 and B787 flights?
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Very inexperienced at the moment, many of the experienced crew are on return to work courses after being on strike.
Most of what you posted are service failures but thereis no longer a drinks served with the meal, wine and any other drinks to go with the meal should be taken during the drinks round
So when they ask you what drink with the nuts, you need to ask also for what you want to drink with the meal, or you ends up with nothing to drink at meal time?
On every CW route (JFK aside) or just MF CW routes?
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:24 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Just had a MF flight from MAN.

Service was very good, there was a weather delay and crew sorted out lunch orders and drinks during the wait and went round CE with water.

But then after landing they did the international arrivals briefing, warning a number of stressed out people on short connections they had to re-clear security...
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
So when they ask you what drink with the nuts, you need to ask also for what you want to drink with the meal, or you ends up with nothing to drink at meal time?
The OP was asking about WT not CW.
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
Surely this doesn't apply in J? - [answered as I was typing thanks]
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
but there is no longer a drinks served with the meal, wine and any other drinks to go with the meal should be taken during the drinks round
Can you elaborate on this? Is this something new or limited to certain classes? I seem to recall my last flight in CW had drinks before and during dinner. In fact, they kept coming back to top me up with wine, and my wife wagging her finger at me. (Answered above while I was typing)

Last edited by BrianWBrazil; Oct 24, 17 at 8:49 am
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
The OP was asking about WT not CW.
My apologies, I misread...
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Is this something new or limited to certain classes. I seem to recall my last flight in CW had drinks before and during dinner. In fact, they kept coming back to top me up with wine, and my wife wagging her finger at me.
Please keep up.
Harry Harry likes this.
Old Oct 24, 17, 9:40 am

There’s a fair few inexperienced Mixed Fleet colleagues, but likewise a considerable number who know exactly what they’re doing. A good CSM will spread the experienced crew members throughout the aircraft to help guide the new entrants.
However, on some fligjts this is more difficult than others, especially now as new entrants are not being Club trained until about 6 months in (I think).
So, whilst a number of these a definite service failures, A number are not. It’s a bar round before the meal in WT and WTP, and just water or wine with the meal. If you’d like something else, request it before the meal service, or wait a little while until the crew can get it for you.
Not sure what you mean with regards to the WTP snack. WT and WTP second service are the same so the fact there wasn’t any left might be a catering issue.
However, on your point about safety I’d be less concerned about this. New entrants get about 6 weeks of training and one of these is service, the rest is all safety and security. I’ve flown with a fair few new crew members over the last few weeks, and whilst it takes a little while to settle (Luke any job) their theoretical knowledge of SEP and security has never concerned me

Last edited by MFCC; Oct 24, 17 at 9:43 am Reason: Edited to add
Old Oct 24, 17, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually MFCC the second snack meal is different in WT plus on many routes.
The service standard is now all drinks from the bar and nothing offered with the meal.
If you look at the service standards the pictures of the trolley set ups are incorrect.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: