FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern opinion
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:33 pm
flyerUSA

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Wink

I just flew China Eastern from Beijing PEK to Shanghai PVG, paid economy $195, and it happened to be one of their high end longhaul planes (seems only the 5:15p uses this aircraft and the others use a lesser shorthaul plane.)

SeatGuru says this was an Airbus A330-300 - maybe it was? - but their seat map is very wrong for this flight.

But I'm getting ahead of myself...

I bought a last minute ticket and all of the good seats in Economy were gone. It was a 2-4-2 configuration without a single aisle free except in Row 71, which by my picky needy obnoxious standards, was unbearable.

At the SkyPriority desk at the PEK airport (interesting experience unto itself...they have large hotel lobby-style chairs for you to sit on while someone behind a proper low-height desk works with you), I asked them if there was any way to upgrade on this flight (the original price for flying in first was sky high and not worth it for 2hrs imho, this was personal not biz travel). So they sent me over to another counter...

And this person behind the counter tells me, I can upgrade for 300 yuan, "no receipt". I'm pretty sure this was an under-the-table bribe. I paid it GLADLY. That's like $45. Well worth it!

Well, long story short...it was lie-flat seating with impeccable long haul style service. The front cabin was not 2-2-2 as SeatGuru believes, but rather 1-2-1. I had a window, it was very similar to Delta One....even nicer/newer in some ways. The food was...eh, but I'm picky. But very Chinese. If you want something western, bring your own meal.

But overall, I was very very surprised and pleasantly so.

(I am wondering if I will get miles for this flight because of the shady switch in fare classes. I'd be happy just for normal Y miles but so far those haven't shown up and my ticket stub said "O" class which doesn't even appear on Delta's MQM partner chart for MU. Hmmm....)