FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:31 pm
binman

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
You are missing the point. The trick thread is tricky and not very useful except for a very tiny elite of people willing to spend days doing research.
I do agree with you that the premium fare thread is not like that. But on the other hand, inexpensive, non-error fares are fairly fragile. Too much attention and they die. Do you remember the ex-CMB fares? This is a similar story. When people keep wanting to push to the extreme, call the airline, bring attention to the fare, people at the airline end up thinking the price should be raised and we all lose.
What I saw and many others did, is that many people came in this thread looking to be spoon fed. When they were not successful, they called BA and brought even more attention from BA.
If you really look at the content of the whole thread, the useful part is contained in less than 10 posts. But this thread lived to over 700 posts. Look at the number of post that repeat that you could get the JFK-LAX in A class if I was not available. It was said about fifty times and of course more and more people did not want a ticket that would not give them that! Crazy.

If people did their homework themselves and accepted that tough things take a lot of work to figure out, this fare, like others, would have survived longer.

I personally have bought a dozen such tickets, not all to Hawaii, but to Denver and other US places. Not to do mileage runs, but because they were really useful to me. They got me places I want or need to go. I got to see Egypt and other places. I got to do the travel I wanted or needed to do in comfort at a reasonable price.
I did not push the rules nor called the airline. Same can be said for the ex-CMB fares. I did many of them and respected the rules and spirit of the fare. And I got to visit new places. I am sad to see this one go. And if people do not understand that such non-error fares are intrinsically fragile then we will keep losing.
Yes we can tell others about them and people like you who have used such fares for 10 years will figure out how to get what they need. But please don't entertain the begging from those who want you to do the work for them. I have seen in this thread so much begging and bragging that if I were a BA employee, I would have told management to look at it. It was crazy...

Now I'll put my flame proof vest on.
I can well understand where you are coming from. No flame proof vest needed as far as I am concerned. I get the bit about calling and I am fortunate to be able to get these booked and then call but without these threads I don't know how I would ever find out about a fare.

I am a premium leisure passenger and generally travel with wife and kids. Mistake fares and Trick fares are not really my bag as I don't want the risks, but low fares either due currency devaluations or sales I am keen to exploit when possible.