FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA or Cathay Pacific to HKG
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:40 am
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan
I didn’t take a close look at the CX/AA flights — just enough to price them out — but I did see that ORD was a possible connection point. I doubt lie-flat is a huge issue for ORD-WAS. :-)

I only searched for HKG-SFO (77W) - WAS. The once-daily SFO-BWI flight came up in P on the date that I looked at, and I verified that there was no P published for those dates on SFO-WAS. (It was 11/9-11/24, for anyone who’d like to recreate it). So, it’s a discount on BWI traffic that CX doesn’t appear interested in matching, I guess.

I didn’t price out any other competing airlines, so I don’t really have an opinion as to what’s normal in these markets. I was really just trying to validate my suspicion that using UA in one direction and CX in the other would be a non-starter.
That makes since, I had HKG-LAX-WAS on the brain for CX/AA, blanked on ORD, and yes, for that flight, not a big deal. However, landing from a 13 hour international flight to a 5.5 hour domestic F flight though is not so great. You want to sleep really badly.... Its a very different experience.

It is very interesting to me (and I know you know pricing much better than I do) that one can buy one way premium fares in the US for 1/2 the price of a RT, but you can't on overseas routes.