UA or Cathay Pacific to HKG

Old Oct 17, 17, 9:34 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 191
UA or Cathay Pacific to HKG

I have a choice to fly UA or Cathay from NYC to HKG (in J). Which is likely to be a more pleasant experience? Thanks.
Chamor is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:37 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
Cathay Pacific
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:41 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: BKK/SFO
Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 283
UA ( Cathay is not what it's use to be )
pviri is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:45 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,337
CX by a long shot, particularly without the Polaris hard product on this very long route.
mduell is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
Originally Posted by pviri View Post
UA ( Cathay is not what it's use to be )
It's going to beat 2-2-2 sCO?
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Posts: 3,880
UA actually offers a very competitive product vis-a-vis CX. I actually prefer the Polaris seat in comfort over CX's Cirrus seat, which is aging poorly.

CX nowadays is an ailing airline, and the huge decline in service, including catering, shows through.
sinoflyer is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,060
Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
UA actually offers a very competitive product vis-a-vis CX. I actually prefer the Polaris seat in comfort over CX's Cirrus seat, which is aging poorly.

CX nowadays is an ailing airline, and the huge decline in service, including catering, shows through.
OP is talking about NYC-HKG which is a sCO 777 with 2-2-2 layout. SFO-HKG with the new 77W seat I would say could content.
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Posts: 3,880
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
OP is talking about NYC-HKG which is a sCO 777.
Ok, good point. I'll contend that UA's Polaris catering has been better lately. On my last trip on CX (HKG-LAX, J), my entree selection was "kungpao shrimp" served with a plastic packet of chili paste.

OP, peruse the CX forum and see what CX regulars are saying about the cutbacks.
sinoflyer is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 10:28 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 191
Thanks for the advice. I sort of assumed folks would say "go for CX" -- but that assumption was based on a past reputation that may not reflect the current reality.

Of course, there are other options, aside from CX and UA, but it is much more efficient to take a nonstop flight and I believe the only nonstop options from NYC to HKG are UA or CX.

My return flight will be HKG-WAS, where I believe there is no nonstop flight. So that may open up some other options as well...
Chamor is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 10:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Posts: 6,525
OP not sure if you are looking at JFK or EWR, CX flies from both. My responses, and a letter grade, are below:

Lounges (CX A- (ex JFK), B+ (ex EWR), UA D)
at JFK you get the AA FC lounge, at EWR you get the BA lounge. Both are vastly better than the crappy UC club at EWR.
at HKG the CX lounge is great, makes the UC club look like a low grade slum (and it is actually not bad for a UC).

Seat: (CX B+, UA C-)

UA has non-direct aisle access 2-2-2 seating ex-EWR. Seats are last gen, 78" of pitch, little storage space.
cx direct aisle access 82" long, harringbone, lots of storage/space.

Drinks (CX B+, UA D)

UA has random wines that cost about $12-15 retail. No espresso drinks. ETOH is not great
CX has wines that cost about $25-30 retail, espresso drinks, better booze, port.

Food (CX B-, UA C-)
CX's food has gone down hill, but is still better than what UA serves. If you like Texas cafateria style food, UA is for you.

In flight sevice (CX A-, UA C-)

I have always found CX crew to be helpful and attentive, but not stuffy like the SQ/JAL/ANA service. UA, some great helpful crews, but you also may get someone who thinks they work for a diner, slopping down food before going to read a magazine. YMMV.

No one in their right minds would say take UA. The only reason to take UA is (a) you have a corporate deal with them so its a lot cheaper, or (b) you are trying to retain GS or hit some level in UA's program.
spin88 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 10:33 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 29,310
CX, certainly.
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Oct 17, 17, 10:44 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
OP not sure if you are looking at JFK or EWR, CX flies from both. My responses, and a letter grade, are below:

Lounges (CX A- (ex JFK), B+ (ex EWR), UA D)
at JFK you get the AA FC lounge, at EWR you get the BA lounge. Both are vastly better than the crappy UC club at EWR.
at HKG the CX lounge is great, makes the UC club look like a low grade slum (and it is actually not bad for a UC).

Seat: (CX B+, UA C-)

UA has non-direct aisle access 2-2-2 seating ex-EWR. Seats are last gen, 78" of pitch, little storage space.
cx direct aisle access 82" long, harringbone, lots of storage/space.

Drinks (CX B+, UA D)

UA has random wines that cost about $12-15 retail. No espresso drinks. ETOH is not great
CX has wines that cost about $25-30 retail, espresso drinks, better booze, port.

Food (CX B-, UA C-)
CX's food has gone down hill, but is still better than what UA serves. If you like Texas cafateria style food, UA is for you.

In flight sevice (CX A-, UA C-)

I have always found CX crew to be helpful and attentive, but not stuffy like the SQ/JAL/ANA service. UA, some great helpful crews, but you also may get someone who thinks they work for a diner, slopping down food before going to read a magazine. YMMV.

No one in their right minds would say take UA. The only reason to take UA is (a) you have a corporate deal with them so its a lot cheaper, or (b) you are trying to retain GS or hit some level in UA's program.
Spot on, I am in the QF program but most of my seat miles are on CX I get the benefit of Emerald lounge wise is which a big plus. I think they reduced the quality a little in J (not sure who hasn't) but they butchered economy for a while.Saw a couple of major protests in the back on HKG >NRT over the food , FA's hiding in the galley from angry Chinese people bad
wanderingkev is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 11:00 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,831
CX catering has taken a big hit, but it is still one of the world's best airlines.

The CX Cirrus J seat is better than the B/E Diamond you'll get on UA EWR-HKG. More room, direct aisle access.

The CX aircraft will be cleaner overall, and the crew will keep the lav pristine during the flight. UA crews won't clean the lav.

I've always enjoyed the CX style of service. Agree with spin on this one.

The CX lounges at HKIA are among the best in the world.

While you might actually eat better on UA, I would still take CX. I don't think it's really a close call unless you're talking about the 77W with Polaris seat SFO-HKG.
Kacee is online now  
Old Oct 17, 17, 11:03 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,202
If your return is back to IAD, I would consider taking NH or KE the whole way since you can fly either of them straight back to IAD though it looks like CX will sell you a connection to IAD/DCA on B6 via JFK on the return

Last edited by Duke787; Oct 17, 17 at 11:08 pm
Duke787 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 11:06 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,792
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
No one in their right minds would say take UA. The only reason to take UA is (a) you have a corporate deal with them so its a lot cheaper, or (b) you are trying to retain GS or hit some level in UA's program.
+1
garykung is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: