FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA or Cathay Pacific to HKG
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:15 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
Wow, that is a big price difference, are the AA legs lie flat on CX? If it includes HKG-xxx on a 77W for $2200 I would consider UA, assuming that the connecting airport had showers and it did not add too much time to the trip.

But then lets look a little deeper, that is a really, really cheap price for J on this route. Someone is having a hard time filling seats, or RM is as usual off its game at UA.
I didn’t take a close look at the CX/AA flights — just enough to price them out — but I did see that ORD was a possible connection point. I doubt lie-flat is a huge issue for ORD-WAS. :-)

I only searched for HKG-SFO (77W) - WAS. The once-daily SFO-BWI flight came up in P on the date that I looked at, and I verified that there was no P published for those dates on SFO-WAS. (It was 11/9-11/24, for anyone who’d like to recreate it). So, it’s a discount on BWI traffic that CX doesn’t appear interested in matching, I guess.

I didn’t price out any other competing airlines, so I don’t really have an opinion as to what’s normal in these markets. I was really just trying to validate my suspicion that using UA in one direction and CX in the other would be a non-starter.