FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL Improving International Main Cabin Starting in Nov 2019
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:44 am
captaink

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
No pills, but I can share my most recent meal as a bit of perspective on why I am actually pretty positive on Delta's Y food. This meal was catered out of AMS and I think is pretty representative:

Main meal:
- Radish, tomato and iceberg salad
- Pesto chicken breast in tomato sauce, with potato gratin and spinach
- Pretzel roll
- Cheese and crackers
- Orange chocolate mousse
- Avissi prosecco

Midflight snack:
- Cheese spread and crackers
- Apple and ginger snack bar
- Small hippo shaped chocolate

Prearrival light meal:
- Warm chicken leek meat pie
- Ice cream with chocolate sauce

Is any of this fancy gourmet food? Of course not. But I appreciate it because it's the kind of food I eat on an everyday basis when I'm not traveling: reasonable portion of simple, well prepared and high quality protein; salad with greens that are still crisp and fresh; an array of small crowd pleasing sides that pair well with the meal.

I also really like that they offer three choices - typically a meat dish, a vegetarian dish, and a cold chicken salad. The salad is a particularly nice option when watching your health - a consideration most airlines don't really account for in any class unless you order a special meal.

Don't get me wrong; I've definitely had bad meals on Delta in coach, just like any airline. (The intra-Asia meals tend to be particularly grim in all classes; they, unsurprisingly, seem to spend less money on 4-6 hour flights than on the longer 10 hour ones.) But this one is pretty representative of the norm, and if I have a good seat I honestly find myself looking forward to the international Y experience for what it is.
^ Post! Way too many of the meal posts are written by people who consider any meal with fewer than 5 separate courses to be peasant food, and as such, FT is lacking in objective reviews of Y class food.